Whistle Stop

Whistle Stop - The sign

Whistle Stop Wolverine Reviews

Chokk Chokk
A family restaurant in the middle of the woods Aug 30, 2011
I was heading north towards Sault Saint Marie coming from Angola, Indiana. The road was amazing; I really enjoyed driving hundreds of kilometers in the woods with hardly any cars on the road and I felt that it was really relaxing driving all alone on the road and passing the odd car once in a while.

I needed gasoline on my car and I decided to stop at a city named Wolverine, which I found quite funny. When I went of the Interstate I saw that there was road restaurant just next to the gas station, so I decided to take my evening meal there.

The parking was quite full but I managed to find a spot on the corner of the building facing a small field before the rest of the view turned into forest. I walked in and the place was full of friendly regulars that greeted me upon my entry; I said hi as well load and clear so everybody afterward knew I was there. I took a window table in the far corner of the place because it gave me a good view of the place.

The table next to me was a whole family meeting up for dinner after work; they were a group of 10 people at least and they had ordered before I entered. The place was kind of primitive; I felt I had walked in to a place that could associated with they school trips I had when I was in that age. The tables reminded me most of picnic tables that I knew from the 70s and the chairs were built for the same. There was a bar desk in front of the kitchen where to coffee machines and the soda fridge were standing. There were shelves everywhere with glasses of all kind and sizes. The coffee mugs where with commercials on and there were the heaviest I had felt in my hand ever; there was one standing on the table that I was fiddling with.

The waitress came over with a huge smile on her face and asked me what I liked to drink. I longed for a beer but they didn't serve alcohol, so I ended up with a coke and asked for the menu. When I first saw the place I saw a sign in front of the house stating that it was the best pizzas in town but I had not seen any town, so I laughed about it and decided to put it to a test. I ordered a House pizza medium sized, knowing that a medium still could be huge, but there were two pizza’s larger than the one I ordered so I thought that I was home safe.

I went to the toilets and it was clean and working, so that gave me some confidence in what I could expect from the chef. Getting back in to the restaurant I passed the father of the place because it was evidently a family business. He was talking bikes with a couple of bikers seated at the far end of the room. They all later went out and looked at one of the bikes; a nice huge Harley Davidson with a hand painted fire-truck on the front. The bike was in different shades of red and was quite nice.

After some time my pizza was brought in to me by the waitress that also was the mom of the corporation. The pizza was huge and came in on one of these cake stands and was put in front of me. I was immediately sure that I never would be able to finish something like this. The pizza was absolutely gorgeous, I really liked – so even if I could not see any city it was an awesome pizza.

I ate what I could and a bit more and asked to have the rest in a box for he rest of my trip. I asked for the bill as well and it became just under 15$, which I was totally pleased about, so I gave her 20$ and thanked her for a great meal. It was one of these good places that make me smile when I think back upon it. I said my goodbye to all of them and they wished me a good trip. Wolverine was a nice surprise.
My Pizza
Inside the Whistle Stop
The sign on he road
The fields next to the restaurant

Check Wolverine Hotel Deals