What To Do And See In Riga

What To Do And See In Riga Reviews

bigjamer bigjamer
Aug 03, 2007
Hi All

just got back from a four day trip to Riga, Latvia. Not the biggest place in the world, but they certainly know how to have fun. We stayed in the old town area, and this seemed to be where most of the action was happening, lots of bars, clubs and good restaurants. Prices varied a little from 2-5 lats for a beer depending on how touristy the place was. Old town Riga was great, lots of historic buildings, churches, parks, etc although it will not take long to work your way round.The bus tour was good and was helpful to give us a little insight into the history of Riga, and afterwards it is easy walking distance to go back to some of the more interesting places.The next day we travelled to Jurmala, the beach area only 30 mins by train from riga, this is a good idea if you are a little hung over or just fancy a relaxing day on the non crowded, clean, pine forest backed beach. there were a few small resorts here, but other than seclusion, great views and a few isolated cafes, not much else here.

Nest day we headed for Sigulda, only one hour from bustling riga. We did not reallt know what to expect, which was quite good as there was not much there. Sigulda itself was a quiet small town, in a nice forest area, with a huge gorge seperating it from the other town Krimulda. in sigulda the locals told us, apart from the Bobsleigh track, which i highly recommend, you can drink beer or eat pizza. Not wanting to be down hearted we did find a castle and some ruins. We then took the cable car over the gorge to Krimulda, only to find a sanitorium, that used to be the manor house (spooky place) and the Krimulda Castle, or what was left of it! We had planned to visit the new Krimulda castle, but after realising it was a 6km walk, thought better of it. Last day was spent checking out the local shops, all well known brands at reasonable prices.

Any recommendations from me, Stay in the old town, bobsleigh track in Sigulda, the night club opposite john lemmon bar, buy the lonely planet guide (many good tips for restaurants and bars)
riga old town
riga old town
riga opera house
jurmala wooded area

Related Travel Blogs About What To Do And See In Riga

My Travels in Riga-Latvia
Here is my travel log for Gordon Bryden on the trip to Riga on Sep 21st 2007We start our journey on Friday 21st Sep 2007 and meet in Glasgow Central Staion.There are three of the original Glasgow Fam…see Riga opening up before us and it was a great site to see especially at night time. Once…
… continuing my trip… ;) 22:00 I am in Riga. Did not sleep on the plane, just was dreaming and listening to music. My friends Kitija and Ivars met me at the airport. I was so tired, just wanted…Riga top floor bar (we have same in Vilnius) -  from there you could see all Riga

Check Riga Hotel Deals