Wharfedale

Kettlewell, England

Wharfedale Kettlewell Reviews

davidx davidx
YD7 - Upper Wharfedale: and Littondale Oct 30, 2010
I think Wharfedale is my favourite. Whereas there are particular bits that equal any bit of Wharfedale in other dales, it is one of the longest and is striking throughout.

At the head of Upper Wharfedale, Buckden (The Buck), Starbotton (Fox and Hounds) and Kettlewell (Bluebell, King's Head and Racehorses) all offer places to stay or at least to eat. I have stayed with Pam at The King's Head and we have enjoyed lunches at The Buck and The Fox and Hounds - and I mean enjoyed.

Continuing downstream, just before the formidable overhang of Kilnsey Crag, the river Skirfare, that flows through Littondale joins from the right. There are paths between Upper Wharfedale and Litondale from all the villages mentioned above and it's easy to work out a good circuit.

We turn now to go up Littondale, passing through the villages of Arncliffe (Falcon Inn) and Litton (Queen's Arms) to Halton Gill, a very small settlement where the chapel used to be served by the priest from Hubberholme, walking over a footpath.

The Queen's Arms makes a particularly good stop on the circular walks mentioned above. We have often had soup and a roll.

At Halton Gill the road swings away left to rise towards the summit of Pen-y-ghent but there is an easy path on to Foxup, where the Skirdale has its source.

Check Kettlewell Hotel Deals