Whale shark snorkelling

Ningaloo Reef, Australia

Whale shark snorkelling Ningaloo Reef Reviews

lion5146 lion5146
Amazing Whale shark Experience Jul 30, 2011
Well, lots of people prefer to snorkel instead of diving because it is much less dangerous and cheaper!!!

How about snorkeling with the whale shark? wouldn't that be amazing???

I remember when I snorkeled with the whale shark in Exmouth, Western Australia. The good thing about it is that it is more or less controlled by the government so divers and swimmers will not scare the whale shark, because belief it or not, the whale shark get scared if you get close to it!!!!!

But, if you planning to go to Exmouth, you should definitely swim with the whale shark, it gets its value!!!
tj1777 tj1777
Whale shark snorkelling Jun 26, 2010
One of the most amazing things you will be able to do when you visit Exmouth is to go out on a trip to the Ningaloo Reef and snorkel with whale sharks. The option of snorkelling with whale sharks is seasonal and they generally tend to only offer the trips from March till late July or early August.

There are several companies offering tours out to the reef. They all more or less offer the same with a boat trip out to the reef with a morning snorkelling stop and then searching for the whale sharks. The boats all connects to a spotter plane which will point them towards the whale sharks.

The price is also more or less the same in the interval from AUD 360-395. During the season you will most likely see the whale sharks on your daytrip. And all the tours offer some sort of no sightings refund. Usually you'll be able to get on the next boat with availability. But if you are only in town for the day you are going on the whaleboat trip you might want to look into which companies might give you some of the money back in case you don't see any whale shark.

The way I choose the company wasn't all that systematic - I booked late in the afternoon around 5. And most of the companies close at 5. Hence I went with Ningaloo Reef Dreaming because they were the first company to pick up the phone.

The trip was great. I got picked up at the place I stayed and we drove to the boat and went out to the reef to go for the first snorkelling spot where we saw lots of turtles. It was a trial snorkel for the crew to see if we could all actually swim which seemed to be the case.

After this we went out to the outer reef to try to spot some whale sharks. At first we missed out - but got to see some manta rays instead which were great. Then the plane spotted the whale sharks and we got to swim with two different ones. The giant fish are a once in a lifetime experience which I would highly recommend even though the price is pretty steep.

One great thing about Ningaloo Reef Dreaming is they are the only company which actually got a photographer on board the boat. And after the day of snorkelling you'll get a free DVD with pictures from your day. You can get a picture of yourself with the whale shark as well - but they charge 30 AUD for this.

One thing I have noticed was the locals from Western Australia seem to think there were something dodgy with Ningaloo Reef Dreaming as a company. I am not sure what exactly was wrong but apparently the company had a reputation from not abbiding by the rules and being somewhat sloppy on their security. Personally I didn't notice any problems but I heard these comment from different independent sources - hence if you feel the need you might want to research it a bit. I have a feeling the problems may be related to a former employee which had a behaviour which were not really professional.
Boat for the day
One of the many turtles
Turtle swimming by while snorkelli…
Manta Ray
sarahsan says:
What a great experience! On our sailing trip in Djibouti I got to swim with whale sharks several times. We counted about 30 different individuals. Their season is November/December. It is truly an unforgettable experience. Highly recommended!
Posted on: Sep 02, 2010