Whale Watch Kaikoura LTD

03-319 6767

Whale Watch Kaikoura LTD Reviews

LGHoosier LGHoosier
Postponed twice but worth the wait Apr 05, 2009
I came to Kaikoura just for the whale watching tour. I arrived late in the afternoon and had already reserved the last tour for the evening.

I showed up and it was canceled due to choppy weather. I spent the afternoon at the seal colony and winery tour, which was up on a cliff overlooking the mountains and ocean. I could even see a pod of dolphins jumping in the bay as I drank my wine!

You can also swim with wild dolphins, canoe, horseback ride on the beach in Kaikoura. A small, charming town. Options for food are limited but you're not going here for the food :)

My whale watching trip was rescheduled for the next morning, bright and early. Once again postponed for the afternoon.

Finally the afternoon trip took off and it was worth the wait. It was awesome to see the Maori guides use their equipment to listen to the whales (do not use sonar).

We saw 2 whales and a pod of 100 dolphins!

You don't see much except the top and blow hole of the whale until it dives under (the guides give you a nice warning when it will dive under so you can try for the perfect picture).

I thought of doing the plane tour, where you can see the entire whale but enjoyed this tour.

This was the highlight of my 3 months in New Zealand. Worth the money and give yourself extra time in Kaikoura in case your trip is postponed.
annemw annemw
OK experience Jul 23, 2009
This wasn't what we were hoping to get. We only saw a couple of whales, and we didn't get very close to them. The boat was packed, and I ended up getting sick.

There's a dolphin tour that we thought was a lot better. We went on a shark diving tour that was a lot funner also.

Kaikoura is a beautiful place to visit though. I definately suggest making this one of your top 5 places to see in the world. It's beautiful and has aquatic life of abundance... seals, dolphins, whales...and sharks!

Check Kaikoura Hotel Deals