Yucatan, Mexico

Whale Shark Yucatan Reviews

chrisrettie chrisret…
Swimming with Giants Jul 31, 2010
Between the months of June and September off the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula you can have the chance to snorkel alongside the largest fish in the ocean the whale shark.

Our day started by meeting at a small port in Cancun, where we met our guides and boat captains.

From this we were split into three boats roughly containing 6 people each and headed out to sea. The boat ride itself lasted about 45 minutes and on the way we saw turtles and many sea-birds.

Finally we reachd the spot where the whale sharks were we geared up and in groups of two jumped into the water.

With adrenaline pumping I scanned the water for the whale shark and then out of almost no where a giant shape emerged and a huge 10 metre long whale shark swan beneath us. I hovered breathless as this giant made its way past. I had previously wondered what was shark like about this creature, and i then saw the characteristic tail of a shark. We swam alongside for about 5 minutes before we could no longer keep up with the giant, and we clambered up back into the boat.

Afterwards on the way back we stopped off at a small reef and snorkled along the multitude of colourful fish, before returning back to Cancun.

Overall I would highly recommend swimming alongside whale sharks as it is an amazing experience. However the only thing that may put some people off is the high price tag i paid roughly $125, however this price is definately worth it.
vances says:
Awesome - sounds like a whale of an experience!
ladyluck13and7 says:
I think it sounds worth it as well!
Eric says:
Sounds like an amazing experience, I've always wanted to do this. Thanks for sharing your review!
cdiener cdiener
Aug 10, 2007
A major experience that I strongly suggest you all if you are traveling to the Yucatan Peninsula in México is to swim with the biggest fish in the world, the WHALE SHARK ¡¡¡

During the months of June, July and August the whale shark arrive to the island of Holbox to eat the plankton before going back to South Africa.

Don´t worry¡ whale sharks are harmless and also very curious with humans, you will love it so much that you would like to stay in the water swimming and swimming with them.

The island of Holbox has an extension of 40 km in lenght by 2 km wide and it´s located in the North coast of the Yucatan Peninsula, the nearest population is Chiquila.

Holbox is a perfect place to move you away from everything, just imagine tropical weather, breeze, natural attractions, landscapes and remember that you are in Mexico, warm people and a friendly treatment.

Note: Try the see food and the lobster pizza.
denagirl says:
is there a chance to spot them in November?
Posted on: May 31, 2010