Wet Planet Whitewater Rafting!

Husum, Washington
Wet Planet Whitewater Rafting! - White Salmon River.
Wet Planet Whitewater Rafting! - Jodi, Me, and Dave before the trip.
Wet Planet Whitewater Rafting! - This is Jodi, she's special...
Wet Planet Whitewater Rafting! - My sister, Heather, and I on a bridge over the White Salmon River...after rafting and we still look energized!
Wet Planet Whitewater Rafting! - Bridge over Husum Falls.

Wet Planet Whitewater Rafting! Husum Reviews

Gabby27 Gabby27
Aug 31, 2007
Before my visit to Seattle, Tacoma, and Portland I decided to check online for a few activities to plan around the area. Whitewater rafting has been a thing of mine for a little while, as in I've always wanted to do it, and as of last year...it's an annual trip in the spring or summer for me. I found several places online that advertised trips for rafting in the Seattle/Portland area. Wet Planet stood out from the start. Their website was attractive and most importantly easy to navigate...which meant I found the information I was looking for almost instantaneously. The cost was average for a trip like this ($57/person) and the reservation process was simple and straightforward.

The night before the trip I drove down to Portland, OR with two friends of mine to stay with my sister who was also joining us for the trip. Wet Planet offers two trips daily, one in the morning and another at 1:30 pm. We of course opted for the afternoon trip so we could get a good nights rest for the ride. The Wet Planet meeting place was only an hour and fifteen minutes from SE Portland and the drive was so beautiful it could've been longer and I would do it again.

Driving along the river offers great scenery that changes constantly as you round the rolling hills and staggering mountains. The trip itself lasts for about 3 hours, including getting briefed on the rules and technical skills you'll need to navigate the rapids. There were only 3 guides for 3 boats that held up to 6 people (not including guide). This meant the trip was ultra personal since the groups were so small. The four of us lucked out and got a boat all to ourselves with Paul...one of the rafting guides. Paul actually runs his own rafting trips throughout different times of the year where he takes trips in WA, Canada, and through the Grand Canyon. It was great to meet him for contact reasons for future trips. He was fun, out going, well spoken (which was great as whitewater can be pretty noisy and you'll need to hear commands).

The river itself was absolutely stunning! More narrow than rivers like the Colorado or New River (in WV) which I've rafted before. The White Salmon river takes you through narrow passageways in between rocky and lush mountain scenery. Lava rock lines the river bed and there are even a few historical landmarks that the guides will point out. If the river had been made of precious gems it would have been full of jade, navy sapphires, and diamonds. It was that gorgeous...and clear...did I mention it's only 40 degrees! For this reason, Wet Planet provides all the equipment you will need to stay warm; wet suit, booties, life vest, splash jacket, and in the colder months fleece pull overs...don't forget the fun white helmets. If you have your own equipment bring it. One of my friends happens to be 6'9" and had a bit of trouble fitting into the wet suits that they provided, ultimately things worked out...he just rafted highwater style!

The rapids range from class III-IV, with maybe one V. It could've been more intense, but this makes it a great trip for beginners and more experienced rafters alike. If you're into water sports and don't mind some fridged water...do this trip!

Wet Planet has their own private drop in that adds 2.1 miles to the trip (8 miles total) and this gives rafters a good handful of solid rapids that they wouldn't get with another company in the area. It also allows for an optional 20 ft. cliff jump after a 10ft waterfall and short nature hike.

SERIOUSLY, DO THIS TRIP...the river is beautiful, the rapids wild, and the company pleasant!

Go Wet Planet, White Salmon River.
My sister, Heather, and I on a bri…
White Salmon River.
This is Jodi, she's special...
Jodi, Me, and Dave before the trip.

Compare Hood River Hotel Rates (10.8km away)

Wet Planet Whitewater Rafting! Map