Westminster Abbey

London, England

Westminster Abbey London Reviews

paullovestrek paullove…
Westminster Abbey – UNESCO Heritage Site Nov 07, 2014
The Westminster Abbey has seen many Royal Weddings and Funerals through the years, in 2011 it was the venue for the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton. It is great to see this wedding on television at home and realizing that I used to walk on that exact same spot. But I guess that works the same for every destination you have been to.

But anyway Westminster Abbey is steeped in more than a thousand years of history. Benedictine monks first came to this site in the middle of the tenth century, establishing a tradition of daily worship which continues to this day. The Abbey has been the coronation church since 1066 and is the final resting place of seventeen monarchs. It also houses a library with a collections of archives, printed books and manuscripts. More than enough to tell about a magical place I visited way back in 1989. By than a teenager who wanted to have a good time in a metropolitan and right now writing this tip down on Virtualtourist being a 40 year young guy with a great trip back into memory lane! Enjoy.
Vipin Vipin
Great history Mar 16, 2011
As its name suggests, Westminster Abbey is situated in the Westminster area of London. The church is rather gothic in its architectural style, but its connection to the British monarchy has been longstanding. The church is rather famous for being the site of coronation for every English monarch since William the Conqueror in 1066. The other aspect that it is most famous for is the amount of famous people that are buried in its chapels, which seems to have become a thing of high honour. A great example of this is within the literary corner, where figures buried here include Chaucer, Milton, Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters. As seen in the recent wedding of Prince William, the church is strongly associated with royal weddings too.

If you are coming to London, there is a good chance you will want to see Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament. As this is very near, it is well worth visiting.
RenieMaria RenieMar…
Old but rememberal Mar 26, 2010
I just love the Westminster Abbey. Its one of my favourite places in the whole of London. So yes okay the place is overpriced (students get discounts, also if you're a student from abroad!) but once you've stepped inside you forget what you paid and are filled with amazement. The building is exquisite and hosts every single person that meant something to British history. I specifically love the Charles Dickens plate, the Brontë sisters, Lewis Carroll, Shakespeare and Oscar Wilde placed in glass. I love the search through the church to people I admire. I can wander around the building easily for hours and still find new interesting artefacts. A visit to London has to equal a visit to the Westminster Abbey!
kwb1 kwb1
Definite must see if you are going to London! Aug 15, 2010
This is an architectural masterpiece! One of the oldest buildings in the world, it has been the venue for coronations since 1066 and numerous other Royal occasions.

The Abbey is of the most famous and impressive attractions in London. It's located in the center of Westminster, right next to the Houses of Parliament and is easily accessible from Westminster tube station. Using provided audio sets you are guided around the various areas of the abbey, past various graves and monuments of famous Kings and Queens, poets and others who were honoured enough to be buried in such a prestigious place.

The building is huge, and you can expect to spend a good few hours there. Services and choirs also take place within the Abbey while you walk around, which really adds to the atmosphere.

The admission price isn't expensive, £10, and discounts are available if you are a student or a senior citizen.

If you are interested in British history this is as good as it gets!
Glynnes says:
An informative review. Thanks for sharing.
Posted on: Aug 15, 2010
lovely_lori88 lovely_l…
A must do for London Feb 20, 2009
In my opinion, Westminster Abbey is a must see for a trip to London. It's just so cool! I guess it can depend on how much you are into history but I found it amazing to be where so many famous people throughout history have been before and to be standing at the tombs of some of Englands past Kings and Queens.

One of the first things you will notice about Westminster Abbey is its size. It is HUGE! It doesn't look that big but then once you get closer and you compare it to the teeny tiny people standing beside it, it starts to sink in how massive it is. Inside the decor is very beautiful and gothic. It has extremley high ceilings to look up at.

Westminster Abbey is open Monday to Saturday from 9:30am-4:30pm with the last entrance at 3:30pm. The cost for an adult is 12 pounds and for child, student, or senior the cost is 9 pounds. Included in the price of admission is your free audio guide. The guide is quite nice and you learn a lot but at the moment, not all the "stops" on the map are available to listen to. I think they are still working on it. You also have the option of taking a guided tour at some points during the day.

Westminster Abbey is in the centre of London right next to Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament. The easiest way to get there is by tube and the closest two ungergound stations are Westminster and St. James Park.

Telephone: +44 (0) 20 7222 5152

Fax: +44 (0) 20 7233 2072

Email: info@westminster-abbey.org

For more information on the Abbey please see www.westminster-abbey.org
See what I mean, it's massive!
aelder2259 aelder22…
One of my favorites in London Feb 12, 2007
I highly recommend paying a little extra to get a guided tour. You get to see some areas that aren't open to the general public.

I love history and old architecture, so I was thrilled to be in this building. I only wish I could have taken pictures of the inside. It was one of the few places I visited in London where it wasn't allowed.

I've read so much about the War of the Roses and the Elizabethan period, so to see

so many famous historical figures entombed at Westminster was awe inspiring.

I highly recommend it as one of the "must" places to see while in London.

Related Travel Blogs About Westminster Abbey

London
Put your hands up, put your hands up for London......I love this city!!! Alright people it’s once again time to clear the throat and put on your best English accents (not surprisingly quite fun…London, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, London Eye, and Buckingham Palace and so on and so forth. Took plenty of pictures…
10 days of adventure!
My good friend and I decided to take a trip to the UK to see the sights in London, and then cross the channel to see some of the lovely parisian environment.  But of course, we had ulterior moti…London Eye [so worth the 15 pounds so go!], Westminster Abbey, London Bridge and the Tower of London. The real…
Do all good things have to come to an end?
Ahh, an interesting question I´ve put to myself...Do all good things really have to end?  We have less days here than I can count on one hand and yet I feel prepared for going home.  I sta…London, Hadrian's Villa, Tower Bridge, The Forum, The Gates of Paradise, The Egyptian Museum, The Sistine Chapel, Westminster Abbey

Check London Hotel Deals