West Sea Barrage

West Sea Barrage - Kim Jong Il

West Sea Barrage Nampho Reviews

Airportman Airportm…
Dam project in North Korea May 01, 2010
The West Sea Barrage or the West Sea Dam/Nampho Dam was another mandatory visit of my journey through the land of Kim.

Here in Holland, this engineering marvel was done on a much larger scale, so I feel almost safe to assume that this barrage and it's construction was copied from us. Not that it matters in my opinion.

But as the local guide explained to us and through the video presentation, this dam was build by the army of North Korea. Construction took 5 years (from 1981 till 1986) and the end result was that the barrage has 3 shipping locks, 36 sluice gates, a swing bridge, a railway and a highway.

Of course this (for that time) modern engineering project could not have been done without the inspiring words and engineering skills of Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il.

As with other visits to sites in North Korea, the lavish praise both leaders got and still get, are worth spending the time there. It's as if they have created everything singe handedly and are seen as super humans.

As all the visits to the various sites were included in the tour, it was unknown to me about the costs. That's why I made them free.
Light House
The West Sea Barrage
The West Sea Barrage
The local guide

Related Travel Blogs About West Sea Barrage

Day 6: The West Sea Barrage and back to Pyongyang
At the sight, we were greeted by a female guide. As she didn't spoke english, Ms. Han became her interpretor, as the guide explained us about the purpose of the dam. Then we got inside the building, … At the sight, we were greeted by a female guide. As she didn't spoke english, Ms. Han became her…

Compare Ryonggang Hotel Rates (13.1km away)

Nampho Map