West Highland Line

Crianlarich, Scotland

West Highland Line Crianlarich Reviews

davidx davidx
One = two, one superlative; one beautiful Aug 29, 2010
Let's examine the title. Line is singular - and there is indeed one line from Glasgow to Crianlarich. From there the West Highland Line (singular) splits into two lines (plural.) The line from Crianlarich to Oban is certainly beautiful but it is the line across Rannoch Moor to Fort William and then on via Glenfinnan to Mallaig that can claim to be spectacular. I can't decide the winner between this part of the line and the Kyle of Lochalsh Line, which I shall review separately.

Both versions of the West Highland line are well worth pursuing for their own sake but, if your time allows, both lead to ferries to wonderful islands. To save me from gibbering on with a list, take a look at www.calmac.co.uk.

I don't mean my comments in the first paragraph to detract from the scenic beauty of the line from Glasgow to Crianlarich. The scenery of Lochs Long and Lomond does not need praise from me! I travelled from Glasgow to Mallaig on a beatiful autumn day with a dusting of snow on the tops gleaming in the sunlight. There can be very few more delightful experiences.

Check Crianlarich Hotel Deals