West Edmonton Mall

West Edmonton Mall - Marine Life

West Edmonton Mall Reviews

christine4321 christin…
North America's Largest Mall. Nov 30, 2014
It was early November and the temperature was approximately -12 C without factoring in the wind chill. The snow was flying and roads were slick but drivers were properly prepared for safe travel.

When we first walked through the doors, West Edmonton Mall looked like any other mall, lots of stores, bright lights, Star Bucks etc. To say it is large is an understatement. It is in fact enormous.It is the largest mall in all of North America and the tenth largest mall in the world. It is so big that there are often two or more of the same retailers at opposing ends of the mall.

There is an amusement park with indoor roller coasters, swings, drop zones and many other rides. The park has been through a couple of bad times. Once in conflict with Disney in regards to the name and then a deadly accident involving one of it's coasters which killed three people back in the 80's. Everything seems to be fine now and the place was packed with many happy faces.

We made our way to the ice rink which is actually named The Ice Palace where skaters zipped around the ice. Some were just plain skating and others were twirling and performing other minor feats. In the 80's the Edmonton Oilers used to practice on that rink and with Gretzky being so popular the result drew exceptionally large crowds. I imagine they could not practice there for long after that.

There is a small aquarium and a dolphin show that takes place twice daily on the weekends.

What I was really impressed with was the size of the water park. The wave pool was larger than any out door one I have ever seen. They had many water slides and a sandy beach type area. No room for boredom there during the long cold winter.

Some of the stores are designed in such a way that they actually look like another hallway but with products stacked here and there. It took me a minute to realize that I was no longer in the mall's open area but in fact was in a shoe store.

I wish I would have taken more pictures but it was late and I was running out of energy. There was an area that resembles a night time street all lit up with restaurants and open patios giving the affect that people were outside on a warm summer's night enjoying a drink or dinner on the patio.

I only viewed a portion of the place and hopefully when I visit Edmonton again I will have more time to explore. I will have to upload the few pics from my Iphone when I get a chance.
ola3rd ola3rd
Great time at the Waterpark :) May 22, 2013
Not gonna lie, the mall itself is not as amazing to the eye as everyone makes it seem.... well not in terms of aesthetics that's for sure. But its one of those things you just have to cross off your list when visiting Edmonton. Its pretty cool to see such a huge mall have things like a skating rink, amusement park, China Town, a hotel etc inside it.

In terms of shopping, I didn't detect anything spectacular as I went to all my usual favorite stores. I guess the uniqueness of West Edmonton Mall lies in its size and the variety of entertainment venues within it.

The highlight for me was definitely the water park; it brought out the little kid in me and I had such a great time there! So many cool slides, and of course my favorite was the wave "pool". Its a great place to take the family for some fun :)
Marine Life
bigmac993 says:
Nice review!
Posted on: May 25, 2013
travel_mike1 travel_m…
Biggest Mall in Canada Apr 26, 2011
Used to be the biggest in the world. This is still one of the reasons why Edmonton is a rich city. Imax, Fantasyland, Galaxyland, Chinatown and Europa Boulevard - a place to be. You can play golf, skate, shop and play.

Related Travel Blogs About West Edmonton Mall

"Did she just think we were prostitutes?"
We left from Jasper pretty early in the morning. We seemed to be the first ones awake on the campsite as we pulled away on the frosty road, slightly bitter at the site of warm campers and RVs lining …West Edmonton Mall. Without having to pull out a map, the mall is a big attraction and as many…
Saskatoon and Edmonton
Arrived in Saskatoon at about 10pm to discover that greyhound had broken a zip on my pack, not happy! Walked about 20 minutes to get to our accommodation only to discover no one there to check us in,…mall, West Edmonton Mall. It certainly was big! It had a big theme park with lots of roller coasters…
Dubai - the infamous Burj al Arab
I spent my last full day in Dubai checking out its architectural landmarks. I began the morning visiting the Burj Dubai, the tallest tower in the world. It is 160 floors high, all of which is finishe…Mall. I suspect West Edmonton Mall is going to wait for it to finish and then add another wing…

Check Edmonton Hotel Deals