Wenchi Crater Lake

Wonchi, Ethiopia

Wenchi Crater Lake Wonchi Reviews

kayguarnay kayguarn…
Wenchi Crater Lake and Monastery Apr 26, 2015
I went on a hike down into the Wenchi (Wonchi) Crater. There are a couple of ways to get there, and you can do it in one day, or make it a weekend. Leaving Addis, there is a 3 hour drive to Ambo, then another hour or so on a gravel road to the top of the crater where you pay the park dues (100 Birr) and then hike down. If you start early in the morning (as I did), you will avoid all the people offering their horses and services, but you will still need to take a guide with you. Most people, if they stay overnight in Ambo or on the other road at the Negash Lodge (recommended), will arrive around 9 or 10, but we got there at 7. We picked up a local guide and set off on the "strenuous route". I would recommend those for the mountain goats :-) it is a steep descent down the side of the crater. For those wanting to take a gentler route, can walk down the service road with many switchbacks -- this will make it easier on the feet. You can also hire a horse (not sure how much that would be, but negotiable).

When you get down to the village in the crater, you can borrow an oar (and in our case: a shovel), and push off in a tiny row boat. I helped row the boat around the central island and we took a look at the 12th or maybe 13th century church that is in the middle of the island. It was overcast when we started, but then the clouds opened up and the sunshine (true to the 13 months of sunshine slogan) appeared. It gets very warm in the crater, so I would recommend starting early, or coming later so as to avoid the hottest sun.

On the way back to Addis, we stopped at Negash lodge for a macchiato. There is a beautiful treehouse restaurant there, and if you are a guest, you can hire a horse for a reasonable price per hour to explore the amazing "hotel".

Overall, this is an amazing place to go to escape the hustle and bustle of Addis!
Kids across the river
kayguarnay says:
Thank you so much guys! I didn't know, but it is a great place to go! Had to put it on the map :-)
Posted on: Jun 07, 2015
halilee says:
Congrats on your featured review!! :D
Posted on: May 28, 2015
rsvpme says:
Congrats on the feature.....
Posted on: May 27, 2015