Welsh Highland Railway (Caernarfon)

Saint Helen's Road, Caernarfon, United Kingdom
01766 516000

Welsh Highland Railway (Caernarfon) Reviews

davidx davidx
Wonderful ride - to ospreys. Jul 11, 2012
I tend to expect prices to stay low so the 'expensive' rating may be a bit harsh. There is no doubt about value for money. The trip in either direction between Caernarfon and Porthmadog takes about two hours.

I have done some walking many moons ago on the western side of Snowdonia and that certainly added to my enjoyment. I could remember walking on mountains I was seeing - Cnicht, small but very shapely from this side; the Moelwyns, added interest from slate workings; the Nantile Ridge, much lower than the ridge along Crib Goch on Snowdon but good and sharp.

We went to the last station before Porthmadog, where the RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds) has telescopes and cameras overlooking an osprey nest (yes - I know they are common enough in USA but they are still rather special here.)

A particular delight for me was that my dog, Jezzie, made her first ever train journey and behaved perfectly.
austin37335 says:
This is a beautiful part of the world, and what better way to see it than a steam train ride? Well done Jezzie!
Posted on: Jul 11, 2012
spocklogic says:
Nice journey in reminiscence regarding your time walking in the mountains in past years. Good to hear your dog made her maiden train voyage with you perfectly.
Posted on: Jul 11, 2012