Waverley Abbey

Farnham, England

Waverley Abbey Farnham Reviews

rostovcat rostovcat
The Remains of Waverley Abbey Feb 14, 2012
If you have watched such films as “28 days later” (2002), “Elizabeth: The Golden Age” (2007), “Creation” (2009), probably you will recognize this place. Some people say that there is something magical in these ruins.

Waverley Abbey was founded in 1128 and until the late XIV century was a shelter for pilgrims and an infirmary. Afterwards it became a source of stone to build nearby houses.

Now you can see only some fragments of church and monastic buildings of the first Cisterian abbey in England, but nevertheless the feeling of something great and important follows you even after you leave the site.

It also can be a very nice picnic spot. Waverly Abbey is open daily as they say at “any reasonable time in daylight hours”. But I wouldn’t say that there was a lot of space for car park, although that time we were lucky.

As the site is in the care of English Heritage, you will find a lot of informational signs. So even unprepared you will find out all the most important things about the history of Waverly Abbey. Actually there is not too much left. The first thing you will see is a beautiful medieval bridge across the river Wey which, as I understand, was the main entrance to the Abbey. Unfortunately only some parts of buildings remained till now, and one of the most impressive among them is the lay brother’s quarters with long cellar and graceful columns.

You will find Waverly Abbey near a beautiful riverside meadow by the river Wey, which is about two miles south of Farnham, Surrey. I must admit that it is not that easy to find these ruins without GPS navigator (at least it was really helpful in my case of “topographic cretinism”). But when finally you see this peaceful green valley, nothing else is important anymore.

One of curious impressions was a young couple hiding in branches of an old tree like some birds in their nest. They managed to find a very romantic spot, actually.

Also I have read that the Abbey is induced in a Ghost Haunted Places list. It is said that the ghost of a murdered monk is searching for his remains. As for me, I do not have any bad feelings there and in my opinion Waverly Abbey is full of magic and real beauty.

And I definitely recommend this place.
Waverley Abbey Bridge
Unfortunately the Abbey is just a …
The monastery at Waverley was foun…
Some information about the site.
davidx says:
Sounds well worth seeing, even for me living in Yorkshire - where we have a fair few!
Posted on: Feb 20, 2012
rostovcat says:
That's too. :-) But I don't actually think that this feature is just woman's.
Posted on: Feb 14, 2012