Watkins Community Museum of History

1047 Massachusetts St, Lawrence, KS, USA
Watkins Community Museum of History - children's area playhouse (age 12 is allowed indoors)
Watkins Community Museum of History - old car
Watkins Community Museum of History - stained glass window
Watkins Community Museum of History - banister post

Watkins Community Museum of History Lawrence Reviews

diisha392 diisha392
Small Town Museum in Development Jul 10, 2012
The museum is located in a former bank/land mortgage company and the beautiful architeture shows. Gorgeous photographs of the landscape near and far line the main stairwell.

Exhibits on slavery, the city's history, solar panels, and the filming of a movie fill the top two floors. The first floor is empty. There is a kid's area up on the top floor.

I liked some of the exhibits but other ones failed to catch my interest. I also felt that the kids' area was messy.

The museum is marked as free (its brochure says that as well). However, there is a volunteer sitting at a desk right inside the main entrance and that is also where the donation box is with a recommended $3 fee.

This is definitely a small city museum. It is currently undergoing transition between exhibits so maybe once these are in, I will feel that it is worth a visit but right now I would not recommend going out of your way to check it out.
banister post
stained glass window
old car
children's area playhouse (age 12 …
diisha392 says:
Oh, and there was very little mention in the museum of the pre-civil war raid which I definitely had wanted to learn more about.
diisha392 says:
There was a long timeline on the second(?) floor but it didn't hold my attention well. I think that once the renovations are done, it will be more interesting. I would've loved to have seen more about the filming of the movie related to nuclear war there.
Andy99 says:
I would think Lawrence would have a lot of history to present.

Check Lawrence Hotel Deals