Waterhuis aan de Bierkant

Waterhuis aan de Bierkant  - Read the text:D

Waterhuis aan de Bierkant Ghent Reviews

counsel counsel
Oldest Bar in Ghent Feb 01, 2012
I've spent just one day in Ghent and I really loved it. The cathedrals, the castles and the belfort were wonderful. The small streets and the canals show the city so romantic.

At night, I didn't have much time and I was dying for a drink. Before I went to Belgium I had heard a lot about Belgian beers. There are many types of beers in Belgium. And they taste good!

I decided to go "Waterhuis aan de Bierkant". It's located just near the canal. Easy to find. It's the oldest bar in Ghent and it has many drinks, especially the beers.

I took a Kwak, Gruut and a trappist beer. The Kwak was perfect with the interesting presentation with wooden handle. If you are in Ghent you must visit this place and try a Belgian beer in there.
ik-ben-10eke ik-ben-1…
Het Waterhuis aan de Bierkant Jul 31, 2009
When you are in Flanders, it is almost a MUST to drink a beer.

We walked around a bit in the old town, when we came by this nice terrace on the banks of the river Leie (Lys), and decided this was the place to get a beer.

Not a bad choice, because from the menu (yeah, they have a menu for their beers!) you could choose out of 150 different beers, of which 14 on draught.

You can choose whether you go for a smaller or a bigger glass. Most beers require to be served in special glasses, so on the occupied tables and the bar you can see all kinds of beers and glasses.

The beers are sorted by type, f.e. whites, lambics, the triples, and so on, and the percentage of alcohol is listed on the menu as well. Quite convenient, because it ranges from about 3 to over 11 procent...

There is also a "beer of the month", that speciality is on draught as well.

They serve snacks too, the all time ever pub snacks, like cheese cubes, or thick salami slices.

However, if you get hungry, you can order a meal as well, which is prepared at the nextdoor restaurant "Chez Leontine", but it's all added to one bill, to keep it easy for the customer.

So, when looking at the menu I made my choice quickly because they had Koninck on draught, (it has been such a long time since I had that), and it did n't take long or I had my "bolleke" (the type of glass) in front of me.

Sun was shining, and the beer was nice and refreshing, but then I saw they had a white Lambic as that month's speciality, so I had to try that as well, but not before we ordered a light meal; decided to go for the small portion but somehow this went a bit wrong.

Big plates were brought to our table, a bit too much, but nevertheless, the food tasted good.

The only negative point to me was that when I wanted to pay my bill, I had to wait pretty long for the waitress to get it, had to ask her at least three times... I don't want to leave a place without paying my bill, but after more than 20 minutes waiting I was about to do so...

Was that probably because we were recognized as "denhollander"?

But finally we were "allowed" to pay, which did ease my mind, at last :)
Chokk Chokk
Waterhuis aan de Bierkant Apr 27, 2008
Just next to the Canals in Ghent you can find a great bar, called; Waterhuis aan de Bierkant. It has one of the finest terraces in Ghent and it stretches along the banks of the Leie. Besides its quiet atmosphere and its magnificent view on the old Ghent, one can savour more than 150 kinds of beer, 14 of which on draught!

Inside you will experience the atmosphere of an old pub like one finds but seldom nowadays. With nice music in the background - from jazz to blues and the latest releases - you will encounter the most varied crowd from all over the world.

When I was looking at was what thought was a very thick menu card, I found out that it was mainly a beer card (!) In this place you can discover the amazingly rich Belgian beer culture. The place has a wide selection of the best high fermentation Belgian beers, and they are served at the ideal temperature on draught or in bottles.

In their beer menu I loved the text that followed the very strong beers; Watch out! These beers are very strong. So, before you start drinking, write down the name of your hotel and the room number. If not, you might wake up in a very unknown place...

The Waterhuis aan de Bierkant is open every day from 11 am to... the hour at which decent people goes to sleep!
Waterhuis aan de Bierkant
Read the text:D
ik-ben-10eke says:
Great place indeed, I loooved it.
By the way, their name is quite right, if you already had a couple of beers.... LOL
Posted on: Aug 05, 2009
Chokk says:
haha - I had to check if I had been wrong:D
Posted on: May 02, 2008
hansenn says:
A better name would be "Bierhuis aan de Waterkant".
Posted on: May 02, 2008