Wat Xieng Thong

13, Luang Prabang, Laos

Wat Xieng Thong Luang Prabang Reviews

Vipin Vipin
Touristy but authentic Apr 05, 2010
Situated near the banks of the Mekong River, Vat Xieng Thong was constructed in the sixteenth century and serves as the oldest monastery in Luang Prabang. It has been faithfully restored on a couple of occasions during the twentieth century. The site is studded with various buildings that contain beautiful statues and paintings as well as artefacts belonging to former Lao kings (I think the remains and paraphernalia of a couple of kings are still here). Entrance is cheap too, at around a couple of USD. Although the monastery is authentically preserved, I fear that it does have more of a museum feel to it these days rather than still giving off the feel of an authentic and fully working monastery. However, it was a very beautiful visit and I still think it’s well worth a visit when you are in Luang Prabang.

Related Travel Blogs About Wat Xieng Thong

A Journey Through Indochina
Day 1 Arrived in Bangkok and checked in to the Royal Hotel. I'm told that as Bangkok is a city of Rivers and Canals then the best place to see it from is the water. We therefore hired a longtail boat…Luang Prabang are close together so in the morning we start at Wat Visun where we saw the biggest Buddha statue in Laos. Wat Xieng Thong
The journey to Luang Prabang seemed to drag on forever. Another case of relying on the breeze coming through the windows to stop you from passing out, the indulgence from Vang Vieng had started to ta…wats around Luang Prabang's peninsula, most notably the grand Xieng Thong, I found a guy with a boat who was willing…

Check Luang Prabang Hotel Deals