Wat Chalong

Luang Pho Chaem, Phuket, Thailand

Wat Chalong Phuket Reviews

Bateman Bateman
Beautiful, Spiritual, Amazing Aug 13, 2013
What can I say about Wat Chalong.

I arrived by taxi and as soon as you enter the gates you get the WOW factor.

The site is huge. Very well looked after and as it should be for Thailands most important temple.

You can explore the grounds. There are a number of temples here and some souvenir stands around but not many. When entering the temples you will have to remove your foot wear and if you are not wearing appropriate clothing e.g. knee's covered and minimal t-shirt then you will be given something to cover yourself. Umbrellas also will be left outside.

Magnificent temples with a lot of Chinese Influence that is obvious. Beautiful paintings and statues riddle the insides of the multi story temples. All telling a story.

I would go again and again and never get bored.

I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking for me :)
cicie cicie
Beautiful Temple Jan 09, 2012
We came to Phuket not only for beach but we interested to visit Wat Chalong. The largest and most important temple in Phuket is the Chalong Temple or Wat Chalong. The temple is located on Chao Fa West Road, approximately eight kilometres South of Phuket Town. Wat Chalong Phuket’s largest and most visited temple, locals come here to pray to Buddha and many visitors come here to learn about Buddhism. The Chalong Temple prayer hall contains the statues of three revered monks.

Wat Chalong is a beautiful place to visit, the buildings and murals are amazing. The temple is open from seven in the morning to five in the afternoon. There are 3 building's you can go into and the views from the top are definitely worth the climb up the stairs. The architecture and colours of the temple is splendid and beautiful. Each temple is work richly carved and painted in various colours with reds and golds being very dominant.

There are markets around the Wat where you can buy cheap souvenirs, drinks etc. There is no admission fee. When visiting Wats or Chinese shrines be sure to observe the dress rules, you will be asked to remove your shoes before entering, your shoulders, legs and stomach will have to be covered.

Definitely a good place to visit for anyone with an interest in culture, religion and architechture.
pretty_girl says:
Interesting review, Cicie:) Have a great weekend:)
Posted on: Mar 02, 2012
Johnpro says:
Great shoots and nice review ! Bravo Cicie :)
Posted on: Feb 28, 2012
Africancrab says:
Great photos and nice review.
Posted on: Feb 22, 2012
ErnaButterfly ErnaButt…
Wat Chalong Aug 19, 2008
Wat Chalong is the most visited Buddist temple in Phuket and the most beautifully ornamented.

The original temple is believed to have been built during King Rama II's time (1809 - 1842) and has been renovated since.

A major addition to the wat was the construction of a special chedi, 61.39 meters high to house a fragment of bone from the Lord Buddha. The fragment - Phra Borom Sareerikatat was brought from Sri Lanka in 1999 and installed in the chedi in September 2002.

There is a saying among Thai tourists that if you are visiting Phuket but have not yet set foot in Wat Chalong, then you have not really arrived on the island.

My tour guide misunderstood me before and thought I would not want to visit the temple and we were actually on our way to the airport. Upon realizing that we have missed it, I asked the tour guide to turn back but he had another appointment. Seeing my disappointed face, he was really sweet to have turned back knowing that my trip would not be fulfilled if I missed visiting this temple.
Me at Wat Chalong
Wat Chalong
Me at Wat Chalong 2
Me at Wat Chalong 3
missandrea81 says:
I hope I'll get to visit this as well. Thanks for the review.
Posted on: Dec 27, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About Wat Chalong

'Phuket Temple' and 'Island Safari'
We started our day after an early buffet breakfast on board 'Pacfic Sky'. None of us feeling that good ater a night on the cocktails, but we did manage to disembark, ready for our day trip to the 'Wa…Wat Chalong Monastery'. Phuket's most important Buddist temple....We first took a visit to 'Promthep Cape' to see the breathtaking…
Enjoy relaxing in Karon beach..
When we Arrived in Phuket bus station terminal at 6 am…I’m still feeling tired but  I stretch my legs in the  long chairs of bus before leaving this station to get the taxi or …Phuket area then visited Wat chalong. So nice..I would like to come here again and again.. Everyday in Phuket

Check Phuket Hotel Deals