Wat Arun (Temple of the Dawn)

Bangkok, Thailand

Wat Arun (Temple of the Dawn) Bangkok Reviews

Bojasem Bojasem
amazing temple Jun 25, 2014
when i was planning to visit Bangkok i decide to visit Temple of Dawn. i read about it a lot but the real too pretty.

Wat Arun is a symbol for Thailand and stands out on the horizon of the Chao Prayas west bank. Directly across the river from Wat Pho .

nice building & good old design.worth a visit & also close to the river.

i enjoyed by The steps aren't for the fainthearted however as they are very high, steep and quite narrow.The view for the top however is definitely worth it as you can see.

in my opinion attraction number 1 in Bangkok
my close to wat arun
my very close to wat arun
steps of wat arun
wat arun
Ashot Ashot
Very interesting place. For me the most beautiful temple in Bangkok Feb 08, 2012
Really a nice place. As a temple has very unique style. Recommend 100%. Maybe you need to take a ferry to reach it.

From Wikipedia -
godsgirl1615 godsgirl…
Thailands Colorful Gem Jul 06, 2011
Wat Arun is a symbol for Thailand and stands out on the horizon of the Chao Prayas west bank. Directly across the river from Wat Pho (Giant Reclining Buddha) and the Grand Palace it's easy to get to and can be reached by a 5 Baht ferry ride from the rivers eastern bank.

Although the stupa appears to be gray from a distance, when you get up close you can see that it is really decorated with thousands of colorful porcelain pieces laid out to reflect flowers and "guardians."

The public is allowed to climb up to the highest platform but the steps get steeper and steeper the higher you go so be ware. Once you do reach the highest platform though, the view is incredible and I highly recommend it.

Note:

Ladies dress modestly or they will require you to rent a scarf when you buy your ticket!
Upclose, the flowers
Guardians
Looking Up
The view from the top tier
realrv6 realrv6
Fantastic. Aug 19, 2009
This place was great. I had to pay to visit the temple. Don’t remember how much, but it was very cheap. When I entered, there were not many tourist there. Better so, because I could enjoy it even better. I climbed almost at the top. It was a real challenge, cuz of the stairs. They were almost vertical and very small. My shoe size is 13 (47)... But it was absolutely worth.

From up, there was a very beautiful view of the city. I could see the river and the Bangkok Skyline. The small porcelain decorations are wonderful.

The atmosphere was so particular. I saw as much Buddhist Monks as tourist.
Johnpro Johnpro
Nice view point , Great monument ! Aug 26, 2008
An other great monument from Bangkok .

Very tall temple almost opposite to Grand palace .

You can take with few cents a boat from the river and cross over .

The temple is very amazing with many carvings .

If you can go to the higher point you recompense because the view are really great . You will have a panoramic view to the temple and also to the river and to a part of Bangkok .

The most difficult point here is the staircase , very bluff and dangerous to get on the top .

The rest are great and I recommend to you as a highlight of Bangkok .

And as I say always "one photo thousand of words" :)
irene820 irene820
Wat Arun (Wat Chaeng), Temple of Dawn, Bangkok, Thailand May 07, 2008
Situated on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River, opposite Tha Thien Pier. A very impressive cultural architecture. Also suggest to visit Wat Pho (Wat Phra Chetuphon), the Temple of the Reclining Buddha, and Grand Palace which are nearby.
jaaf jaaf
Nov 06, 2007
The Temple of the Dawn or Wat Arun is located on the bank of the Chaopraya river. You will have to pay for the ticket to get into the temple to take a look for 20 Baht (I think) It's very beautiful there and it is very high up to the pagodas but also you can walk up if you're not scared of the height!

It's the Eiffel Tower of Bangkok and is on many visitor posters,It's definitely a hot tourist spot but never the less it's a must see. Most people go see it by boat. Start off with taking a BTS to Saphan Taksin station. Then take the ferry to Tha Tien Pier . Allow yourself time to enjoy . There are steps you can climb and the river view is worth the trouble!! The most attractive structure in this temple is the 79m (260ft) high pagoda or Phra Prang which is completely covered with pieces of multi-colored glass and Chinese porcelain.
From another side of the river
The Pagoda
View from the top
megkuuu says:
oh.. wow.. looks very impressive! thanks for the recommendation!
Posted on: Jan 09, 2009

Related Travel Blogs About Wat Arun (Temple of the Dawn)

Day 4: Bangkok
Wat Arun, Temple of the Dawn  On Monday, we decided to get up early and visit the Wat Arun and Chinatown. We took the boat taxi to Wat Arun but it was just too hot. I bought a cotton top for … Wat Arun, Temple of the Dawn  On Monday, we decided to get up early and visit the Wat Arun
Monuments in and around Bangkok, Ancient City, Wat Pho and Wat Arun
We went to "Ancient City", an outdoor museum on 200 acres filled with replicas of historic monuments from different places in Thailand. It was very well done and looked authentic in a beautiful setti…Bangkok. At the Temple of Dawn (Wat Arun) along the river has these beautiful prangs decorated with millions of pieces…
Day 3: When we almost got ripped off...
Friday morning at 7am, I wake up and look out the window of my hotel room to see it rain! But I was pretty optimistic that the sun would come out soon. I wake Joann after I've showered and change to…Arun, across the Chao Phraya river... in the gloomy Bangkok weather. Barely a two minute ride across, and we reached the Temple of The Dawn. Wat Arun

Check Bangkok Hotel Deals