Washington Plaza

Washington Plaza Rates and Deals

Washington Plaza Reviews

minukshah minukshah
Rude staff and false advertising - Really disappointed Feb 21, 2012
This was my second stay here. I had stayed here a couple years ago for New Years and had a great experience, therefore I chose this hotel again this past weekend to accommodate friends who were visiting from out of town. I reserved one (2-double bed) room for 4 people on a third-party website, which I have used several times with no problems. The gentleman who checked me in first said that their records show that I booked a room with only one queen bed. I told him I specifically spoke with a rep from the third-party website, and confirmed that I reserved one (2-double bed) room. He said, "Well sorry that is what I have you down for and it's not our fault because you reserved it through a third-party", and I said that was unacceptable. Another person at the front desk, overheard and rechecked my reservation and yelled over that , "Yes she did reserve one (2-double bed) room." The Gentleman, did not even apologize and continued to ask me, how many people were going to be in the room. I said 4, and he was like, there is an extra person charge. I told him, I was unaware of this charge when I booked the room. I had put four people on my booking, and nowhere was it mentioned that there was an extra person charge. The price for the room was the same when I checked the price for 2 people versus 4 people. He kept repeating basically "It's not our problem, you booked it with a third-party." I honestly did not care about the extra charge, but the attitude he kept giving me was extremely rude and unacceptable! Finally, I was just fed up with him and finished up checking in. Once we got in the room, I double checked their Hotel information book to make sure we could get a rollaway bed, and expected for there to be an extra charge, which I was not concerned about. I called the front desk, a female answered and I asked if we could get a rollaway bed. She rudely said they don't have any. I told her it said that their book says they have rollaways, and she yelled back, "We don't have ANY!" I just lost my patience with them and hung up. My friend ended up calling the front desk to speak with the manager. My friend told her that ever since we checked in, we've had a terrible experience with the staff, and were told we didn't book a specific room when we actually did, and we are being charged for an extra person, and that its OUR fault because we booked with a third party, the book says there is a rollaway, and we are being told otherwise. The Manager said they haven't had rollaways in 2 years. And my friend answered, "...and you haven't updated your books in 2 years...." The manager did apologize and said that they would take off the extra person charge. My friend said we don't care about the money, we just would appreciate it if the staff had some manners. I really liked the hotel the first time I stayed here and would have chose this hotel again and again, especially because of the location, but never again will I ever stay here again after being treated like that. I have friends visiting DC every couple weeks, and will never recommend this hotel to anyone. There are several other hotels in the area that I will refer my friends or anyone else too.
gardkarlsen gardkarl…
Decent hotel with a good location Jul 31, 2011
When we started looking for a hotel in Washington DC it was as usually a bit tricky as we have never been to the city before and hence it was not that easy to understand where the best location would be. We first started looking at Westin but the feedbacks were not that great and we also wanted something a bit cheaper as we were staying for 10 days. In the end we decided to go for Washington Plaza as it seemed to have a good location, because it had a pool and because the price was not bad. I booked the hotel on Expedia and it was 890 Norwegian kroner per night (which is about 165 USD these days) including all taxes but excluding breakfast.

We took a Supershuttle from the airport to the hotel and arrived late afternoon. The hotel is located at Thomas circle. The check in was fast and we got room 232 with a view towards the pool and Thomas circle. I think the hotel has been updated recently and they were still working on a room/suite on our floor. Our room was not very large but the layout was not bad. The bed was what might be called super king-size as it seemed to be like 2 meters wide and hence it took up a fair bit of the room. In addition that this there was a chair and stool but we used this for storage space for all the fancy pillows from the bed that you don’t really need in the first place. Apart from that there was a desk area which included the desk, stand for the TV and space for keeping one suitecase as shown in one of my photos. When I checked out the room I thought here would be a small fridge under the TV but that was not the case – it was empty. The walls were painted in light colors and there was a carpet in more or less the entire room.

Upon entering there was a door on the left hand side that led to a room that included the safe, a “wardrobe” (meaning a few hangers on a bar over the safe) and the sink with amenities. I always think it is a bit weird with a sink area with carpet underneath it. Another door led into the tiny bathroom which included the toilet and a bathtub with a shower option. The shower curtain was actually quite good as there were two layers and this seemed to prevent the water from splashing everywhere. It would have been great with better ventilation in the bathroom. There were some amenities but not very impressive in any way – I was glad I brought my own stuff. There was also an iron and an ironing board by the wardrobe and it is always good to have this in case you need to iron some shirts. The hotel also offers laundry service.

There was also a bit of turndown service in the evening and we got a couple of bottles of water – you can also drink the tap water but it does taste and smell a bit of chlorine. It was also excellent that the hotel offers free wifi – we got a username and password when checking in and we could use this on our different devices.

There was a coffee maker in the bathroom (on the sink) and we tried it once but it took forever to make a cup – so it was easier to just enjoy coffee in some of the nearby coffee shops. The aircon in the room could be controlled to keep the room at a certain temperature. But to do this it would turn on and off all the time and the draft from it was very noticeable. But I was glad that we had aircon as it was really hot in Washington during our stay there.

The room also had a door leading out to a common balcony which had stairs leading down to the pool area. The pool area had quite a lot of sunbeds and in the afternoon it seemed to be a popular spot as you could also buy cold drinks from the bar there. And the small pool was quite crowded by kids and adults that wanted to cool down in the summer heat. There was a life guard on duty and the pool was actually 8 ft deep in one area.

Thomas circle is quite busy with traffic and at night it was easy to hear the traffic noise in the room. The regular traffic noise was not a problem but it seems like ambulances and firetrucks use the sirens in a very active way!

The location of the hotel is not bad at all – from the hotel to the Mall it is about 1 mile (about 1,6 km) so we walked there several times. We also walked to McPherson metro station located about 500 meters from the hotel (it took about 10 minutes). But one of the best ways to get around might be taking the bus – there is a bus stop right by the hotel and you can e.g. take the Circulator bus to get around. We did feel very safe in the area and we walked to U street, Dupont circle and the Mall at night.

The hotel has a small kiosk in the lobby area where you can buy postcards and snack. In the same area you can also find an ATM which is handy. You don’t have to walk very far to find restaurants and cafes either – within a block or two you can find Starbuck’s, Au bon pain, the brown bag etc so it is not a problem finding a place to have breakfast.

This is not a fancy 5 star hotel but it was a pretty good hotel for our Washington DC vacation. The location is quite good and the area feels safe. The room was a bit on the small side and the amenities were not great. But it was great to have free wifi, access to pool on warm days and to have aircon to keep us cool at night. I would not mind staying at the hotel again and I would also recommended to friends and family.
Sink in the wardrobe/bathroom
Shower and toilet
Safe and hangers
whizz0 whizz0
Great location Jun 11, 2011
The hotel - located on Thomas circle, pool is ok - although not amazingly clean, lounging area next to the pool is nice and the bar man is great. Happy hour between 4 and 7 which gives cheaper beer, wine and spirits. Food - completely unimpressed, ordered room service, pate was hard, pizza was not good in the slightest if I wasn't so starving I would have sent it back. Room service added service charge and gratuity, (thought they were the same thing) plus tax and delivery charge.

Location is brilliant, 10 mins walk to White house, I walked from the hotel to Georgetown then up past the naval observation centre and back past dupont circle so walking everywhere is possible but beware of the heat. It was 99 degrees when I was there.

Capitol hill was good to see also.
meena meena
Washington Plaza a No Mar 08, 2011
This hotel is colorful, but not in a good way. The purple, teal and yellow carpets combined with the dated decor make you feel like you're in a dorm room gone hotel. Just don't drink too much at any keggers you find, or one look at the carpet may do you in.

Washington Plaza Amenities

• Ballroom
  • Full-service catering
  • Exhibit Space
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Pool Outdoor