War Eagle Cavern

War Eagle Cavern - Heading into the cavern

War Eagle Cavern Rogers Reviews

jenniescharm jenniesc…
Natural beauty with a past Nov 21, 2014
Admittedly something of a “city girl,” I can’t resist wandering though a cavern when given the chance. On a recent visit to northwest Arkansas, I had the opportunity to tour War Eagle Cavern. Normally tours happen in groups, but on the day I visited my friend and I were given a private tour as no one else was ready to go when the guide was.

Our guide was a local resident who was very knowledgeable about the cavern and the surrounding area. We saw amazing rock formations, underground streams, and several small pipestrelle bats. (The cavern is also home to gray bats, but we didn't see any during our tour.) Jesse James and his brother Frank used the cavern to hide from the authorities, and during the Great Depression, a family residing in the cavern used its great expanse to hide their illegal moonshine operation. The pathways are wide and fairly smooth. No steep climbs or narrow passages. (If crawling around and getting muddy is what you crave, you might want to consider a Spelunker Tour. Tickets for that tour are $50 per person and reservations are required. Tours require at least four people, and times become available starting in mid-July.)

Outside the cavern itself, there are several hiking trails and scenic overlooks. I didn't explore much as it was a rainy day. Even in such weather I found the area’s quiet atmosphere and colorful fall trees very pretty and restful.

War Eagle Cavern is close to Highway 12 between Eureka Springs and Rogers. Tours are $15 for adults, last for about an hour and depart every 20 mins or so from the trading post/gift shop. No reservations are necessary, and you can buy tickets online, but if you do be sure to print them out as cell phone service is very limited. The Cavern is open from March 8th until October 31st.
Heading into the cavern