Waikiki Gateway Hotel

2070 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, HI, USA

Waikiki Gateway Hotel Rates and Deals

Waikiki Gateway Hotel Honolulu Reviews

Good location, Horrible Check in, Reasonable price for Waikiki Feb 14, 2014
Reception makes this hotel disappointing. Check in took over 15 mins waiting, then we were told to wait as they had to locate the booking, even though we had a confirmation email. Check in staff were not pleasant, this really lets this hotel down, in fact makes it unappealing.

Collecting car from valet, was told I needed a stamp on my ticket. I told him reception did not stamp it. I went back to reception to wait another 5 mins and asked why this was not stamped, they explained that I need to tell them, funny as they just gave me an invoice for the valet parking.

- Location

- Balcony

- Breakfast $10, fruits, cereal, toast, muesli, coffee, eggs

- Inexperienced and rude reception staff

- Was not told to collect pool towels at check in, had to return to collect pool towels

- Expensive car parking, $US25 + tax, valet also moved the seat and mirrors, which I found frustrating, all he had to do was move the car 8 parking spaces! Inconvenient and highly unnecessary.

- Pool is cold and opens too late and closes too early 9-9
ambria ambria
So/so hotel by beach, shops, and restaurants Mar 22, 2012
I got a deal on GroupOn for this hotel just before I was headed to Waikiki, Oahu. I probably wouldn't stay here at the full price, but it was great with a discount. We ended up getting a room with a great view. There was a mix up with the room at first which took about 30 minutes to fix. However, I thought the staff was nice overall. There were plenty of people who were willing to chat and give me and my friend some insight as to where to go for food, drinks, or whatever.

The lobby of the hotel looked newer than the room, but I noticed a lot of hotels in the area looked older. There is an ABC convenience store right in the hotel, great for if you forgot something.

The beach was about 3 or 4 blocks away, but at that part of the beach, there were lots of rocks in the water. My friend and I went to another area, more westward, and the beach was much prettier and no rocks!

Our deal included breakfast, which was nice. There was pancakes, waffles, french toast, eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, white rice, fried rice, and mi so soup on any given day.

The hotel was close to a lot of restaurants and shopping areas. The night life was so/so.

All in all, it was a good stay, however, I would probably look for a different hotel in the future just because I wanted to visit the beach more, so I'd pick a place a little closer with softer sand.
ambria says:
Ya, I was pretty impressed with breakfast. Annnnd, it came free for the week with the room we had.
Posted on: Mar 31, 2012
sylviandavid says:
that's a pretty big variety for breakfast.... it sounds like a nice place... Thanks for this review. sylvia
kingoftheicedragons kingofth…
Affordable Waikiki Apr 03, 2011
The Waikiki Gateway Hotel is a good place to stay if you're looking for someplace affordable in Waikiki. I marked the price as average, but I think that as far as Waikiki goes, this place is more affordable than other places. First impression when we walked into the lobby, was that this was a fancy hotel. The room did not live up to the same standards, and if you're expecting luxury at the price you pay for this hotel, you will be disappointed. However, the room was clean and very acceptible. As far as other amenities go, there is a computer center, but no pool, the only store attached to the restaurant is an ABC store, and there was a small restaurant that we never went to. While good, it doesn't compare with some of the other hotels on Kalakaua Avenuen.

The biggest disadvantage to this hotel is its location. Located at more of the "gateway" to Waikiki, you have quite a distance to walk to get to any of the hot spots in Waikiki. They advertise as being three blocks from the beach, and technically they are, but not the part of the beach that has all of the people and activity. You can take this as a positive as you have more beach space for yourself than you would in other areas, however, the ocean in the nearest part of the beach to the hotel is rather rocky.

The question is if I would stay at this hotel again. It comes down to price versus convenience, and for the most part, the price is going to win. So, I would stay at another hotel in Waikiki if it was the same price as the Gateway was.
Lobby of the Waikiki Gateway
sylviandavid says:
thanks for this review.... funny how the lobbies always get renovated and the rooms are not.
ambria says:
They have a little pool now and that restaurant you mentioned is now closed.
jamartin39 says:
I know exactly where this hotel is, for the price its not bad especially if you dont mind the walking distance to some of the waikiki attrractions
Posted on: Apr 10, 2011
looking2travel2011 looking2…
Decent Priced, Nice Location May 18, 2011
I visited Waikiki Gateway Hotel In Honolulu for 2 weeks. It was a nice hotel, the staff was friendly. Beware you have to check out of your room in the morning and if you want a late checkout they charge you per hour (can't remember now but it was like $10 to $20 an hour each hour) You can have them hold you stuff at no charge when you go to check out and still go see the sights there. Nothing was free no breakfast no nothing, even charged to use the safe that is in the room. The location is great though easy to get around from there and to arrange transportation to/from there. It was a clean hotel very nice, great views if you are higher up in the hotel. Decent price for a fairly nice hotel.
sylviandavid says:
Yikes... they charged for the safe???? that's crazy! thanks for this review!

Waikiki Gateway Hotel Amenities

• Disabled Parking
  • Salon
  • Massage
  • Health Centre
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower