Waikiki Beach

Waikiki, Hawaii

Waikiki Beach Reviews

kingoftheicedragons kingofth…
Who Doesn't Love a Beach Apr 04, 2011
The most famous beach in the world, which means that it's also incredibly busy. And it's not very wide, but that is made up for by it's length.

Of course, because of it's length, there are many areas to go and enjoy, and we didn't visit the whole length of the beach. Starting at the west side of the beach, you will find a lot fewer people here, plus some surf boards and "water tractors" to rent for playing in the water, and a short pier going out into the ocean which is great for pictures, especially pictures looking over at Diamondhead. The downside here is that the water is very rocky and painful to walk on. As you make your way along the beach, you will get to sandier portions of the beach, and you still have fewer people around, but in this section, the beach is at it's smallest width. Here, you are likely to find people participating in surf lessons. Once you get down to the area of the Sheraton, you start getting into the large crowds of people. However, at this point, it becomes tricky trying to find a way to get off the beach as a lot of the hotels have ropes up and signs saying that only hotel guests are allowed past a certain point. It's still possible to get off the beach by walking through some of the hotels such as the Sheraton or the Outrigger, but it's not easy to find the access points. As you go down, you get into the more active areas of the beach.

Waikiki Beach seemed to have a lot of sunbathers and some people swimming, as well as a few surfers and some people doing stand-up paddle.
jamartin39 says:
The post cards lie! lol. I was shocked by how narrow the beach was and how many people there were. I never though to review the beach itself, but now I might
Posted on: Apr 10, 2011
suzanne58 suzanne58
Waikiki Beach May 27, 2011
The water is clear, calm and shallow pretty far out. We went paddle boarding and snorkling. Paddle boarding was realy fun and the water was really clear to snorkle. We stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacation Club, which was absolutely fabulous. The scene in Waikiki is also really fun to bar hop. I liked the club with a dance floor and pool tables.
1Satine 1Satine
Waikiki Feb 12, 2010
Packed. Beautiful.

Those two words best describe Waikiki. I don't know which comes first. The first things I noticed were how many people were there and at the same that was the water breaking waves against the edge of rocks. The water in most of Waikiki is made safe even for children by being sheltered, but somewhere near the Pink Palace it opens up. There are very few fish compared to other parts of Oahu at this beach, plus a lack of coral, probably due to the population of tourists in the water, but catamarans, drink stations, sand, and aqua waters are abundant. It's a beautiful place to throw your worries into the wind, and enjoy abundent sunshine, water, & weather. ...Just hold on to your cash and belongings...

And across from and lining the beaches are hotels, and cross from those is dining and shopping. It's a good way to break up your week if you intend to stay on Oahu exclusively... you can travel around the island and see remote areas, and come back to city life--especially if you're used to the city like I am. (I've lived in Los Angeles, Milwaukee, and Berlin Germany)

PS All beaches in Oahu are OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
kami_lynn kami_lynn
Oahu Jan 17, 2009
Well, I finally spent a few days on Oahu since I had spent a lot of time on Maui and a couple weeks in Kauai. Everyone was saying that I had to go spend time on Oahu. I did enjoy myself, but I think it is the least intriguing island I have been to in Hawaii. I expected more from all the hype about it, but nothing has topped Kauai, and Maui was prettier than Oahu as well in my opinion. I guess there is just too much concrete and city for me to enjoy the island feel. However, this makes for an incredibly gorgeous view at night down in Waikiki if you have a good room with a view.

I did take a Roberts bus tour around the island to get out of the city for a day. There are some pretty spots away from the city, but everywhere just seems really populated and I like to go on vacation where there are beautiful beaches that are more secluded. I also started to feel a bit like I was in Mexico with people trying to get me to buy touristy things. Obviously it wasn’t to that extreme, but I would say they are much pushier than the other islands.

Some highlights were seeing the pineapple farm and the macadamia nut farms. I’ve never seen such a variety of tasty nuts and the freshest rich coffee to go with them in the taste sampling room. Also, there is quite the selection of nightlife in Waikiki and Honolulu, which you don’t find so much on the other islands. However, that is not really what I go on vacation for, but if you do, you should go here.

Overall, Oahu wasn’t as appealing as I expected, but it was definitely still worth checking out. I mean I still consider Oahu far above where I live, but compared to Kauai and Maui, I would rather live on one of those two.
The Pinnaple Farm
There is definitely not a shortage…
m_mspr m_mspr
Typical tourist trap Sep 21, 2009
Yes, Waikiki beach is nice and it is has all the necessary needs for tourists: hotels, shops, restaurants, clubs and of course, it is right on the beach. However, Hawaii is so much more than just waikiki. Don't get me wrong, waikiki is a good place to hang out, but there are so much more to see. So after hanging out in Waikiki the first days, try heading other places to experience more of Hawaii.
Geofan Geofan
Jan 27, 2006
Not too far away from Waikiki Beach is another Bay - Hanauma Bay - we used to snorkel there - it was marvelous then.

I stayed in a hotel at Waikiki Beach, but the area is too touristy and stuff. It seemed kind of anonymous to me. Sure there are lot's of parties and restaurants but I didn't consider it to different from any other tourist place - with there pseudo-Hawai'ian festivities.
Eric says:
Yea, I agree about it being very touristy. I have also snorkled at Hanauma Bay and it was amazing!
Posted on: Jan 27, 2006
Eric Eric
Jan 25, 2006
Waikiki beach is a super touristy area on the south coast of Oahu, but it's also pretty fun. There is a long street that runs along the beach filled with restaurants, places to shop, and street performers. Hundreds of people stroll up and down this strand so it's a good place to people watch, too.

If you want to go into the water, Waikiki beach is a pretty good place to learn how to surf, too. The waves here are gentle and slow breaking and the water is clear and warm. The only hazards here are the hundreds of other beginning surfers armed withshakily controlled 10' longboards. You can rent surfboards at huts along the beach for around $5 an hr.
Sunset at Waikiki Beach.

Related Travel Blogs About Waikiki Beach

What I did to Waikiki Beach
There was always something new happening in Honolulu. Well, at least when I was there. Early one Tuesday morning when I woke up in my hotel room after yet another eventful Aloha time the night before…beach. Okay, now let's go surfing." We had signed up for a surfing lesson on Waikiki Beach. None…
Sunset on Waikiki Beach via Concrete Breakwater Pier
Our favoirte place to watch Hawaiian sunsets on Waikiki Beach is on the concrete breakwater pier right near the Hale Koa Hotel on Fort Derussy, behind the museum and adjacent to the Outrigger Reef La…Waikiki Beach is on the concrete breakwater pier right near the Hale Koa Hotel on Fort Derussy, behind the museum…

Compare Honolulu Hotel Rates (4km away)

Waikiki Beach Map