WARNING: Ha Long Tourist Boats Group
Halong Bay, Vietnam
WARNING: Ha Long Tourist Boats Group Halong Bay Reviews
A bit off a rip-off, avoid Kangaroo Cafe trips Jan 24, 2017
We researched the internet months in advance for an overnight trip to Halong Bay and more or less decided on Bai Tu Long Bay Junks, but then we came across trips that were run by the Real Kangaroo Cafe in Hanoi. This apparently was the only foreign operated boat in Halong Bay, so we exchanged a few emails and were convinced that this outfit knew what tourists wanted and we were convinced enough to book with them, for about $40 more than Bai Tu Long bay Junks. However this turned out to be a huge mistake, for the following reasons
1) We ate at the Kangaroo Cafe the previous night and asked the Aussie owner how many people on our trip. He said he did not know!
2) The receptionist at our hotel was most surprised that we had to make our own way to Kangaroo Cafe, normally the passengers are picked up by the agencies (which we found to be true on other trips we booked).
3) When we set sail from Halong Bay port we discovered that this was not the boat of the Aussie, as he had bumped us on to another.
4) We were anchored in a bay and i bought some beers from a lady in a small boat for 30% of the price charged on our boat. I was shouted at by the crew, i would have to pay an additional charge to the boat crew for buying beers from the lady. A German who returned from kayaking with a beer in his hand was also shouted at.
5) We were promised an opportunity to take a ride in a rattan boat but the boat captain said that there were not any.
6) According to the literature that was given to us beers were supposed to be around 40,000 dong and wine $25, but in fact beers were 56,000 dong and wine was $35.
7) On returning to the Kangaroo Cafe the Aussie was nowhere to be seen, but his wife was eager for us to sit down and offered the menu. I asked about the rattan boat and the beer prices, she just nodded her head, smiled and continued to ask if we wanted a drink.
8) we were promised that we would anchor at quieter spots but when i woke up the next morning we were surrounded by 39 junks
9) Some of the passengers on our boat had a sleepless night due to a party on the neighbouring boat.
10) When i made a review on TA the owner replied that i was a liar, but i saw he had made similar replies to other folk who were not happy with his trip or meals at his cafe.
We found Halong Bay was indeed a beautiful place but there were just too many tourists, garbage floating in the water and a bit of a tourist trap. During our trip we stopped at the crowded island of Titop, a bay for kayaking and a cave the next morning. If i had to do it again i would just take a day trip/
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
WARNING: Ha Long Tourst Boats Group Aug 27, 2008
OK Ladies and Gents
If you're going to go to Halong Bay, there's only one way you should do it. Book your tour thru one of the agencies recommended in LP etc. and then go straight there. Do not go straight to Halong Bay expecting to get a better deal.
I shall tell you.
You will get ripped off...just like my friend and I did.
Do not deal with this agency...
Ha Long Tourist Boats Group - Mr. Binh Thanh or Discovery Travel on 26 Hang Mam Street in Hanoi.
We went back to the "home" agency in Ha Noi and they were very unhelpful. We were ripped off the exact amount of what the tour was worth. Seeing as we didn't know how much a 2 nite/3 day tour was supposed to cost, 80 bucks seemed alright to us when we met up with a guy selling tours in HB. Too bad the actual price is in the range of 45 bucks. When we complained, we were told by the owner of the company that we had delt with his friend, also nicknamed "the hunter", who preys upon tourists. I never got a satisfactory answer as to why he'd want to do business with a criminal. Go figure. Anyways, we were jerked around a lot and although seeing halong bay was amazing, the whole payment thing reallky bugged us.
So if you see Mr. Binh Than or Discovery Travel, please give them my least fond regards and give your business to someone else.
P.S. the junks they use have plutonium grown rats on board and we saw them running all over the pots and pans in the kitchen. yum yum.
1 / 1 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy