7100 Four Seasons Point, Carlsbad, CA, USA

Vivace Carlsbad Reviews

Eric Eric
Jan 23, 2007
Vivace is an Italian restaurant located in the Four Seasons Resort Aviara in Carlsbad, San Diego. The interior of the restaurant is really nice and there are even tables where the seats are plush couches, so you can recline and dine in true gluttonous Roman style. The food itself is also excellent. I had black spaghetti with shrimp and sausage Calabrese. It was light on the sauce and basically just tossed in a lemon and olive oil sauce. The spaghetti was done to al dente perfection. For dessert I had a four-layer chocolate cake. I'm usually a huge chocolate fan, but I was so full from the entree that I didn't end up finishing the cake. The only downside of the evening is that I forgot to bring my photo ID from the hotel room and when I ordered a glass of wine the waiter insisted on seeing my driver's license. I was with my family, and they told the waiter that I was 24, but he still wouldn't have it. Finally he said in a rude tone of voice that he would give me my wine, but "if there were any inspectors nearby the restaurant would be fined $2000."First of all, most restaurants ignore this rule, especially if you are with family and the restaurant is nice. Second of all, it seemed like incredibly poor service for him to say he would give me the wine, but then try to guilt trip us by saying he could be fined.I ended up leaving the table in the middle of dinner to drive back to the hotel room and get my id. It was only a 5 minute drive, but it seemed completely unnecessary, and I would have expected much finer service from a restaurant affiliated with the Four Seasons. Upon returning to the table and showing him my ID, I wanted to remark that "it was fortunate that I went through the trouble to get it, because I saw some inspectors in camouflage lurking behind the potted plants in the lobby", but I held my temper.Fortunately, the food and company made up for the service.
travelman727 says:
Unfortunately, no one ever asks me for my ID anymore :-D
Posted on: Jan 23, 2007