Visitor Safety in New Orleans

New Orleans, Louisiana

Visitor Safety in New Orleans Reviews

o_dog o_dog
Jan 04, 2008
I heard so many comments about visitors' need to be careful with their safety in New Orleans. In fact, some of my friends had warned me the same thing. The recent crime report about New Orleans did not help, either. However, when I was visiting the city just after the New Year, I was glad that the actual description of the city safety at night was much better than all the info I heard.

First of all, there was a constant police presence on every block of the French Quarter area. Especially on Bourbon Street and the surrounding neighborhood.

Second, I highly recommend that you go out with friends. The quiet, residential sections of the area, or Royal Street area, can sometimes be too quiet (not a typical touristy or drunken party places like Bourbon). With friends, you won’t look like you’re vulnerable alone.

Third, know the area and memorize the last place you see the police. They make rounds, but it is always useful to know that the police is within screaming or running distance.

I'm all for the idea that we like to enjoy our stay in New Orleans in whatever activity that suits us, but be alert of the surrounding. After all, the safety is something we need to exercise everywhere we travel.
evening at French Quarter (before …
o_dog says:
Hey Rebecca -- thanks for your comment. I had a great time in New Orleans. ;) You are right about spreading positive energy. Sadly some people take words from the media portraying an event, or a description of a place, for granted. Sometimes it's so overblown and distorts the image of a city like your hometown. Actual experiences of the people living in or visiting the place should also be heard.

Thanks again for your comment. I really appreciate it. New Orleans is amazing; I had so much fun. I will definitely come back (partly in pursuit of an awesome etouffee -- last time I was there some ingredients were not on season) :)

take care,
Posted on: Jan 19, 2008
beccabouche says:
Thank you for blogging about new orleans, my hometown and current home. This city is so genuine and amazing. We need positive energy spread around the world though. Thank you for visiting and blogging about your visit.
Hope you had a great experience.

Posted on: Jan 19, 2008