Visiting Jo'burg - Part I

Johannesburg, South Africa

Visiting Jo'burg - Part I Johannesburg Reviews

icu2001 icu2001
Jul 06, 2007
This is a "tongue in cheek" review for those individuals interested in visiting this vibrant and active city, and is purely to debunk some myths around Africa. Jozie, as we locals call it, is the powerhouse of the African continent and is a truly contemporary metropolitan. So, to start with I would first like to list the available basics amenities critical to all modern Homo sapiens, vital to survival in the urban jungle.

The lights work, mobile phones have reception and our highways are built with truly more than one lane, in either direction. This will be immediately evident once you step out of Johannesburg International Airport....some people still insist that we now call the airport "O.R. Tambo", but a name is only valid if the people use it (Our government love wasting money on name changes - more often than most people change underwear).

Armed with your mobile phone, luggage and change in perspective, the next interesting thing to notice is that the lions do not run around free on the multi-lane fact there's not even an Elephant in site. O, and did I mention that not all of us run around naked (now there's a thought) and eat human remains with our BBQ and bear:

BBQ - the action whereby an individual, or group, will ignite a pile of

combustibles, preferably wood, and slowly cook sustenance.

...a social pass time on weekends, locally known as a "Braai"

Once you reach your designated accommodation, you should be greeted by a friendly face in any of our eleven official languages. You should be able to surf the web from your hotel room (even sent e-mail), or use one of the internet other words the internet does reach our small part of the world down south. You can watch CNN, BBC, MTV and we even have, unfortunately, Pop Idols here. If your hotel does not have all of our hundred odd satellite channels....let me know, come watch Heros Season 2 at my place.

Hope to continue this in more detail in part II (will also try to add some pics) stay tuned

Check Johannesburg Hotel Deals