Vira Sack Guesthouse

Check Vientiane Hotel Deals

Vira Sack Guesthouse Vientiane Reviews

kimpigott kimpigott
Quiet guesthouse right on the riverfront Aug 09, 2011
The friends I stayed with actually advised me on this place as I asked for down by the Me Kong River. It is literally on the same street as the river so they did well. It is a fair walk out of town, I would say about 20 minutes walking a decent pace. The local people do start looking at you as I don’t think they expect westerners to be down this part of the woods!  I didn’t feel unsafe walking down here though. When you walk down by the river, the best way to recognise if you have gone far enough is if you pass the big red 3G sign. It’s a couple of side streets after that and the locals do their own sort of food market and it kind of ends where this street is so it’s quite easy to tell. Also it’s next to the hospital and also a pharmacy.

Now it’s 500 baht a night which equates to 130,000 kip so it is quite pricey (100,000 kip is £8 to give you a rough idea) but on my 2nd time in Vientiane I’m still trying to find a good bargain of where to stay. They did say that if I stayed longer (like a week) the rate would be 400 baht.

The room was a decent size, it had its’ own fridge, TV and bathroom and it also had AC. AC is a bit of a luxury for me so trying to get the right temperature was a bit tricky as you end up getting quite cold and the bed only has a sheet on but they do give you an extra blanket and also an extra pillow. I did turn it off at one point in the night only to switch it on again to be sprayed with water which wasn’t ideal in the middle of the night but once switched back on again I got it to the right temperature finally.

When I first got in the room the TV was asking for a passcode. As I just wanted to get out and walk along the river I didn’t think too much about it until I actually wanted to watch TV when I came back early wanting to chill out for the evening. I went down to the guy downstairs on reception who spoke no English so gave up on trying to ask to stay another night. I ended up showing him the TV as he didn’t understand. He wasn’t quite sure what to do so left the room, 5 minutes later he came back, knocked on the door with a different TV. Definitely wasn’t expecting that!

I'm sorry I didn't take a picture of the room. My room was on the 2nd floor. As you walk in the room the bathroom is to your left. You walk past the bathroom and the bed is on your left hand side with the window straight infront of you. Can't quite see the river unfortunately. The TV is in the right hand corner up on the wall with a mirror right next to the little table underneath the TV. It's a really good sized room. The AC is right above the bed, I think ideally it should have been placed somewhere else as it got too cold but it was AC at the end of the day so it was a bonus to have it.

We did have a power cut which lasted about 3 hours but that's normal here. You will normally find when it rains that TV reception will go and then take a good day or so if you are lucky to come back. The one thing I find tricky in SE Asia is having rooms with plug sockets, it seems to be a rare occurrance. This one had 2 right by the mirror which was a good place to have them. You do get a bottle of water along with free shampoos and my second day there they left a bag outside my room with replacement items in so thought that was a really nice touch.

The one thing I was slightly disappointed with was lack of hot water, this was by far one of the most priciest places I have stayed in so you kind of expect hot water especially as the water heater was there so that was a shame as everything else was good! Maybe another room would have been different.

Overall though if you want a guesthouse by the river at a reasonable rate I would recommend this. I did like it here and had it not been quite so expensive and on my own I possibly would have stayed longer.

Check Vientiane Hotel Deals