Vines to Cellar Winery

www.vinestocellar.com - (262) 536-4544

Vines to Cellar Winery Port Washington Reviews

sweetsummerdaiz sweetsum…
Vines to Cellar Winery Sep 22, 2009
It "just so happened" that I had a Wisconsin winery directory in my car on the day that I visited Port Washington; what a coincidence!

I found and stopped at this winery on a Sunday.

The building had previously been an art gallery and studio so many of the creative features had been left behind for this winery to begin with.

This place is the perfect example why in the business of making wine that having a passion for doing so is imperative. The owners informed us that their philosophy was to select a business based on value and not mix business and pleasure by incorporating their passion.

Wine tasting here is free; 3 samples per person over 21 years old. My first impression walking through the doors is that the place is appealing and welcoming. Their dog ran to the door to greet us, though one lady behind us was appalled by this and demanded for the dog to be put away.

We sat at the wine bar for tasting. I noticed that there were dates written largely on all the opened bottles. I was shocked to see some of the dates 2 or more months old! What this means is that the bottles were opened on the date written on the bottle and had been sitting on the counter unrefrigerated since even though the sun's rays were long enough to reach the bottles during each day. People with a passion for winemaking understand that the wine breathes and once opened immediately begins to change even if it is resealed.

Needless to say, the owners are not passionate wine experts. They proudly cold us that their company was a "make your own brew" wine franchise chain out of Canada. Basically, a open the package and add water - kind of wine making. Sadly, I know more about wine, grapes, and world market more than he did.

They have approximately 18 wines to choose from ranging from a Cabernet and Pinot Noir mix to a sweet Riesling. There are a number of fruity sweet wines in between such as a raspberry chocolate.

Overall, I would give their wine a 3 out of 10, however, since it is the only game in town and given that the decor is appealing, I recommend seeing for yourself and taking in the free samples. Just don't plan on buying any to take home as you can find SO MUCH better wines for 1/2 the price in any wine shop.
Tasting bar.