Village Store

Braithwaite, England

Village Store Braithwaite Reviews

Real_PeaceWarrior Real_Pea…
The Credit Crunch Munch Jun 18, 2009
I know that it is not usual to provide a review of a village store but this one has a secret it also serves hot food and drinks. I stumbled upon it accidentally whilst looking for an ice cream, which by the way is as ‘yummy’ as is advertised, even if the flavours are limited to just three.

On my first visit I was served with a Cumberland sausage sandwich which was excellent value and tasted really great. I had however also noticed the board advertising the all day breakfast, a choice of six items from sausage, bacon, egg, black pudding, beans, mushroom, tomato and toast all for three pounds, fantastic value! I just had to return and give this a try.

Two days later I did just that and worked out that each item was fifty pence so ordered an extra egg, sausage and slice of bacon, she threw in free toast too! I also had a latte which unfortunately came out of a sachet, so the less said about this the better, but I shall let them off with that.

The assistant had only recently started so the owner had to stay and show her how a full breakfast was cooked on the grilling machine. This does mean that it is all grilled and some of the excess fat is drained away, so a little healthier, which is not really a prime consideration when ordering this kind of breakfast, but it does improve the flavours.

There is not a large dining area; in fact it consists of a single, small, round, plastic garden table in a corner of the shop which can comfortably sit about three! Anybody else wishing to sit down is required to sit on chairs strung out along the wall, but it works and is surprisingly congenial, I struck up a lengthy conversation with a couple stopping for coffee before their days walking.

The owner and the new girl were both very friendly, and chatted openly with me and other visitors whilst carrying out their tasks.

The shop also sells of course the normal things you would expect from a village store and more besides, including newspapers.

Located centrally in this pretty and quaint Lakeland village, this is one of those gems of a place that you only occasionally discover, a lovely little place, tasty snack food, excellent value and a genuine friendly staff, I cannot wait to return.

Related Travel Blogs About Village Store

Discovering Budget Backpackers Nirvana
I was treated to another gorgeous morning when I awoke, although there were some black clouds obviously heavy with rain drifting by, the air felt so clear and the sun burst through at every opportu…Braithwaite and stop at the campsite there.   This gives me the chance to return to the village store and give…

Check Braithwaite Hotel Deals