Villa del Mar Turks and Caicos Islands

Villa del Mar Turks and Caicos Islands - Really liked this place

Villa del Mar Turks and Caicos Islands Providenciales Reviews

Boston_Babe Boston_B…
Affordable luxury in the Turks and Caicos Islands Sep 29, 2012
I just returned from a stay at Villa del Mar with my husband and we really enjoyed it. The value for the location and accommodation is excellent! The resort is technically not on the beach but it is right behind a resort that is on the beach (Grace Bay Club), but the beach access is so close, and a beautiful walk through Grace Bay Club, that it's no issue at all. And the best part is the price. I believe Grace Bay Club rates start around $500/night but Villa del Mar is around $200/night for basically the same location!! And even better was a flash sale that I stumbled upon through jettsetter.com and got an amazing rate of $130/night! With continental breakfast included! Now Grace Bay Club does have more to offer in the way of amenities but for us Villa del Mar fit the bill just fine.

The room was gorgeous, very large, and spotlessly clean. We stayed in what I believe is the studio (there are multiple bedrooms as well). Our studio had the most comfortable king bed I have ever slept in. A full size pull out couch, a kitchenette, a table and chairs area, a huge bathroom, 2 closets and in room washer/dryer! With detergent!! The kitchenette consisted of a nice little area with a granite counter and dark wood cabinets, a mini fridge, toaster oven, coffee maker and sink. In the cabinets was a really nice set of dishes, servewear and flatware. There was also a wine bottle and beer bottle opener. The coffee area was stocked with regular and decaf Wolfgang Puck coffee, which was delicious, as well as sugars and non dairy creamer. We went to the IGA and Graceway Gourmet to get items to make sandwiches, mixed drinks, coffee creamer, etc. and it was great to have that area for those items.

I loved the decor style of the room. It was very upscale...they must have had a great designer. The bathroom was so spacious with a shower, separate tub with a window area that opens up into the room. More than enough space in the cabinets. There was a hair dryer, iron and ironing board, and safe in the room. The safe was large enough to hold our laptop, DSLR camera, lenses, video camera and other little odds and ends.

Our room had a huge balcony with a large round table and four chairs as well as one chaise lounger. They seemed like really high quality pieces also. We had a view of the pool (I think all rooms do) and it was very nice.

The housekeeper kept our room very clean and full of clean towels and a perfectly made bed. She was done every day by 11am.

There are two pools and a hot tub with very nice chaise loungers and umbrellas around them. There are always staff members around taking care of the property which is a great sign. Every day they put new terry cloth covers over the chaise lounge even though it was slow season and there was rarely any people at the pools. Because it was slow season the bar near the pool was closed so we can't comment on that.

Continental breakfast was included. It was put out in the lobby every morning and consisted of bagels, pastries, fruit, coffee, juice and cereal. Everything was always really good except the cereal in the mini boxes...it was stale the one day we tried it.

I have to mention a staff member...I think his name is Israel. He was the NICEST man. His famous last words to us whenever we bumped into him were "as long as you are happy, I am happy" :) On our last day he thanked us for choosing Villa del Mar in such a heartfelt way. It really made us feel appreciated and welcome. All of the staff we interacted with were nice. We even got to meet the Director, Alan. Even though he seemed very busy he always stopped to ask how our stay was going or to give a recommendation of a local place to grab a drink and snack.

There are no restaurants on this property but there are plenty in walking distance and if you rent a car even more options. Staying at this place felt partly like a resort/hotel and partly like we were renting a villa from someone. I say that because there was no real concierge. The ladies at the front desk were helpful but for example, I asked if a certain restaurant needed reservations. The desk staffer said they do. Then I asked if the call was free from the room and she said no, it's $1 per minute. I expected her to offer to call for us but when it didn't happen I figured that maybe this place doesn't work like that. I'm still unsure of the extent of the service, but really, it was no big deal. But it's not like a resort that has a designated concierge desk.

One thing that was a little confusing was the service on the beach. When we checked in, the desk staffer said to look for the guy in the blue shirt on the beach at their stand and he would get us whatever we needed. We never saw him. There was a cooler full of fresh cold water and cups and fresh towels so we didn't really need anything else (we made our own mixed drinks in a thermos that we brought from home to take to the beach). Maybe he's more available during high season? I'm not sure, but again, no problem for us.

We highly recommend staying at Villa del Mar for the value, location and accommodations. It was really great.
Really liked this place
On the balcony
Bathroom
One of the two pools
sylviandavid says:
congratulations on being featured!
powderfan says:
Congratulations! I had never heardn of jetsetter.com. Thanx for mentioning; I'm going to check it out.
Glynnes says:
Congrats on being Today's Featured Travel Review.
Villa del Mar Turks and Caicos Islands Map