Villa Tugendhat

45 Černopolní, Brno, Czech Republic - +420 515 511 015

Villa Tugendhat Brno Reviews

keeweeset keeweeset
Icon of modern architecture Aug 13, 2015
My main reason for coming to Brno was to visit the Villa Tugendhat. The house was designed by the famous Bauhaus architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe for Fritz Tugendhat and his wife Greta. Mies van der Rohe even designed the furniture for the Villa with the Tugendhat chair and the Brno chair still being sold today. The Villa is one of the most important buildings of modern architecture.

I did the "extended tour" (90 minutes), which covers the living areas of the Villa, the technical facilities, as well as the garden. The website advises visitors to book their tour 2 months in advance and they are not kidding! Since I wasn't that well organised I didn't get a spot on an English tour. I emailed the Villa and asked/begged if there were any free spots. Fortunately, I got lucky and I could tag along with a Czech tour and was provided with written explanations in English. The nice tour guide also offered to answer any of my questions in English, which he did. Well, yes, it was a little weird to walk around with a group of people that you don't understand but once I got used to it, it was fine.

The only thing that, let's say, irritated me was when 2-3 of the visitors started touching things. They started knocking on the walls, to see what type of wall it was, I guess, working the doorhandles. The tour guide didn't interrupt them at all, which I thought was weird especially since you have to put on protective covers over your shoes so the floor doesn't get damaged.
View of the Vila Tugendhat from th…
keeweeset says:
The Villa Tugendhat is definitely worth visiting. :)
Posted on: Aug 16, 2015
Chokk says:
Wow - I rarely plan my tours 2 month ahead - I might look in to this place next time I am in Brno, though
Posted on: Aug 14, 2015