Villa Tugendhat

Villa Tugendhat - View of the Vila Tugendhat from the garden

Villa Tugendhat Brno Reviews

ulis ulis
Villa Tugendhat Oct 13, 2017
For visiting the Villa Tugenhat it is compulsary to book a tour (max. 15 persons, 300 CZK for 60 minutes 350 CZK for 90 minutes), there is a online booking system which did show in July everthing full until October, now some dates for the 90 minute tour (non for the 60 minute tour) are available in November (a bit more if you chose Czeck language).

The Vila Tugendhat built from 1929 to 1930 by Mies van der Rohe was together with the Barcelona Pavillion his most important work before the war.

In case you can't geht a reservation you can see a little bit of the house from the Vila Löw-Beer, also from the Cernopolní street near the entrance and maybe you can get a "Garden"ticket by just showing up. You can see also a virtual tour on their webpage: http://www.tugendhat.eu/tour/tour_en.htm

From Vienna by train 1:30 hours, with early online booking from € 9 onway.
ulis says:
It is still difficult to see the place, you need a reservation for a guided tour, i didn't manage to get a reservation online (even not 6 month ahead, maybe the web site was not working properly, but it has a virtual tour), Vienna is not far, so i went to Brno and did get the garden ticket, one gets glimpses of the interrior but better then nothing
Posted on: Oct 13, 2017
AdamR3723 says:
How lucky to have seen this masterpiece of 20th century architecture. It was not open during my brief visit to Brno long ago.
Posted on: Oct 13, 2017
keeweeset keeweeset
Icon of modern architecture Aug 13, 2015
My main reason for coming to Brno was to visit the Villa Tugendhat. The house was designed by the famous Bauhaus architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe for Fritz Tugendhat and his wife Greta. Mies van der Rohe even designed the furniture for the Villa with the Tugendhat chair and the Brno chair still being sold today. The Villa is one of the most important buildings of modern architecture.

I did the "extended tour" (90 minutes), which covers the living areas of the Villa, the technical facilities, as well as the garden. The website advises visitors to book their tour 2 months in advance and they are not kidding! Since I wasn't that well organised I didn't get a spot on an English tour. I emailed the Villa and asked/begged if there were any free spots. Fortunately, I got lucky and I could tag along with a Czech tour and was provided with written explanations in English. The nice tour guide also offered to answer any of my questions in English, which he did. Well, yes, it was a little weird to walk around with a group of people that you don't understand but once I got used to it, it was fine.

The only thing that, let's say, irritated me was when 2-3 of the visitors started touching things. They started knocking on the walls, to see what type of wall it was, I guess, working the doorhandles. The tour guide didn't interrupt them at all, which I thought was weird especially since you have to put on protective covers over your shoes so the floor doesn't get damaged.
View of the Vila Tugendhat from th…
keeweeset says:
The Villa Tugendhat is definitely worth visiting. :)
Posted on: Aug 16, 2015
Chokk says:
Wow - I rarely plan my tours 2 month ahead - I might look in to this place next time I am in Brno, though
Posted on: Aug 14, 2015