Vientiane Backpackers Hostel

Check Vientiane Hotel Deals

Vientiane Backpackers Hostel Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Vientiane Backpackers Hostel Jun 07, 2013
There was some kind of happening in the Vientiane or in the area and I hate those when I arrive to some place without any lodging… Simply, it is very hard to find the good place to stay for cheap money. My friend was leaving couple hours after we arrived and I kept her company by walking around a bit. After she left I proceeded with regular search for place to stay and motorbike to rent. Asking around I stumbled around the Vientiane Backpackers Hostel. Luckily they had ONE free bed, and I took it… Cost for the dorm bed was 40000kip which is on the higher side, but no choice makes it perfect price for perfect place. Hostel is right across the one of the temples (whole area is full of large temples and most of the river front around and outside of the town is lined up with them). I don’t know how they can sustain such a large population of the monks… Mekong river boardwalk is only a block away and it is fairly nice place to walk and enjoy the sunshine/sunset. When I was there river was very low and not that interesting to see, but even then you can see the might of the famous river. They are constantly fixing that boardwalk and it is going to be a beautiful place in the city when it is finished. In the street that follows the boardwalk you can find many restaurants, pubs and also every night they have large and interesting night market.

There is breakfast included in the price, and it is good one, with lady making stuff on order. Comparing to the good food that you can get in surrounding area, that breakfast is actually a waste of the meal, and you should go for local food, but that is your choice.

Most of the hostel walls are painted by people that stayed in the hostel. The deal is that you will get free room or beer if you paint something nice in this place. Paintings are not always made of the imagery or design, but also different sayings and smart quotes.

Two large dorms are on the second floor, very well made, with AC and fans and lockers under the bed. Beds are metal, strong and comfortable. That AC was very cold and it made me sick, but I survived… Bathrooms are excellent and same stands for showers. Kitchen is in separate room and it can be used if you’d like to cook something or prepare your food. Fridge is also communal.

Most of the guests hang at the lobby where you can get cold beer, sit on chairs or benches that surround the walls, check your internet and eat your food. WiFi is free and widely available on the bottom floor.

Only few buildings away you can rent scooters which are the best transportation option that you can get. I liked this place, but I believe that there are better options in town.
Bathrooms