Video Production/Blogging Gear

Toronto, Canada
Video Production/Blogging Gear - You can't beat the swivel LCD and the ability to record sound in two tracks.  18 mpeg gets you to pro range. Remember use a sound recorder as the sound on most DSLRs are horrible.
Video Production/Blogging Gear - 5 in 1 Flex Fill.
Video Production/Blogging Gear - the light stand on the top of the frame can reach a height of 8'6' and the other light stand can reach a height of 7'2'. Both fits in a suitcase as you can see here. Both light stands for less than $100.00
Video Production/Blogging Gear - folding headset, Tascam DR40 (recommended) and an Azden wireless lav (as guide track only)
Video Production/Blogging Gear - Lexar USB 3.0 card reader coz life is too short to waste on digitizing files
Video Production/Blogging Gear - The pelican 1510 and a Lowepro backpack when travelling on foot with uneven terrain.

Video Production/Blogging Gear Toronto Reviews

GMendozaFilms GMendoza…
Video Production/Blogging Gear Aug 20, 2012
CAMERA: Go pro is great because of the rigging features that it comes with but I'm not always going to want an uber wide focal length that'll distort my image. Many video bloggers are loving the Canon ELPH 300 HS. It shoot 1080p video, slow motion and I think it's a great compact back up for the DSLR in situations where a DSLR is either not safe to pull out or where it might be obtrusive. For example, you're sitting in a beautiful restaurant; your plate arrives and it is a culinary work of art. Pull out your compact camera point and shoot. Now back to eating that fantastic meal. The Canon ELPH 310 HS is out now also. It's a little better but is it worth the new model $200 ish price tag that comes with it. Humn. I'm currently bidding on a 300 HS model for more than half that price. I have seen mini DSLR looking compact cameras but for the $700 price range I want more than 14 megapixels.

Now for the adventure enthusiast P stands for "Proof" as in shockproof, waterproof, cold proof and P stands for PENTAX OPTIO w90. For those of you who remembers the Pentax K1000, it was considered the student straight manual 35mm camera of its day. I own Canon bodies for lower budget jobs in comparison to t.v. commercials and high end corporates and I have old tokina lenses that I just need to use on those indie drama, personal movie type projects.

I always like to look at camera test on YouTube and if I like the look then I simply study the tech specs and look at reviews by those other than its product makers.

I opted for the canon 60D as my main DSLR camera. Now let me tell you my gadget logic behind all this. RED EPIC is still the main big budget t.v. commercial camera. The ARRI ALEXA is currently the main drama and t.v. series camera. I amortize the camera for 3 years since the digital world has about a 3 year shelf life before clients expect you to bring what critics currently deem as the hot gear to have. Since the canon 60D is roughly $1000. That means that I need to make $333.33 a year consecutively. Yes even though DSLR is mostly for low budget corporates and indies, I've already made back the initial investment and then some. The canon 60D and 7D shoots at 18 megapixels while the higher end canon's shoots at about 24-25 megapixels. If you're a high end photographer then for sure Canon 5D or Nikon's high end DSLR.

My argument is unless you're blowing up your images to the size of a building , good lighting, composition and post production work will more than give the higher end cameras a run for their money with skill. At the end of the day, the most important photographic tool is the person behind the camera. With a lifetime of motion picture experience from no budget music videos and indies to insane big budget Hollywood movies; I can say with confidence that I have a lot of tricks in my arsenal of movie and photographic magics.

TRIPOD: A good one that will allow you smooth pans and tilts will run you a couple of hundred to the cost of a cheap little car. Handheld is not always ideal and smooth camera moves will up your production value.

LIGHTING: For small lights there are small LED lights and ring lights that you can attach to a DSLR for less than $100 dollars. Some of the LED lights are awesome because they have filters and diffusers and they're also dimmable. The downside is that they're usually powered by batteries as oppose to an AC/DC power supply. Light stand that you can fit in your suitcase do exist and if you shop around you can find cheap or second hand ones again for less than $100. And flex fill you just gotta have it for diffusing the sun, bouncing a little fill light, warming skin tones, negative fill,....etc. I've worked as t.v. commercial gaffer for many years. I've lit 600k t.v. commercials and have done second unit on numerous t.v. episodics.

Please look at the photo attached labelled as 5 in 1 flex fill. (White) Silk is great for diffusing the harsh sun light. Silver is great for bouncing sunlight. Gold warms up pale skin tones and gives brown skin tones a golden hue. White for a soft diffused bounce light fill. Black for negative fill of cutting out light.

To me BEAUTIFUL IMAGES = GREAT Art direction, great camera work, great lighting and great post production work.

SOUND: Invest in some sound gear for video blogging. Tascam DR 100 or cheaper and older models such as the Tascam DR 40, Zoom H1N, rode microphones,...just to name a few that are popular in the DSLR movement. If it was up to me my award winning sound guy would be with me on all my shoots but DSLR jobs and it's budgets doesn't always allow for that. Again I look at the test on YouTube then if I like the sound then I look at the tech specs and the reviews. Although I'm loving my Canon ELPH 300 HS for blogging and I even like the sound quality when your close to the camera of course.

On the DATA MANAGEMENT side: a mini external hard drive, power splitters such as cube taps, power bars and some extension cords and 220volts to 110v adapters. Data management protocol dictates that you should back up your files in two different drives and immediately have them in different location ASAP. Any equipment with moving parts such as hard drives will have moving parts that will eventually cease to work. I'm currently looking into storing data on one of those unlimited ONLINE data storage services. But I will comment on this point when I've made that move.

Finally Cases for your gear. If you're going to invest all this money on thousands of dollars worth of gear then you need cases to protect it. Okay maybe in this case it's not quite that much. But you know what I mean. On the plane: Pelican cases carry on size such as the Pelican 1510. In safe areas a decent backpack or messenger style bag. I'm a lowepro guy when it comes to padded cases and backpacks. And for dangerous sketchy areas nothing more than G20 country bling says TOURISM=Victim. Leave the bling at home get a normal looking bag with enough room for the basics and extra paddings that you can custom fit into these bags. Army surplus stores and second hand thrift stores are great places to find such gems. Happy vblogging.

Below is a video link of Trey Radcliff the HDR king. He packs his photographic gear one way for travel and then he repacks it when he's on the road and he has a compact camera also. He travels the world with a camera so he has a lot of helpful tips.

Apologies that you have to cut and paste this.

Some of the motion picture credentials of the writer. Namely moi! Just so you know I'm not a hack or a poser. IMDB is an acronym for the internet movie data base. I'm on a site with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Ooh ya! Again apologies that you have to cut and paste this.
folding headset, Tascam DR40 (reco…
The pelican 1510 and a Lowepro bac…
the light stand on the top of the …
Lexar USB 3.0 card reader coz life…

Check Toronto Hotel Deals