Schoolstraat 9 , Gieten, Netherlands - 0592 - 265179/06-47135993

Victoria Gieten Reviews

pms70 pms70
Wonderful food, lousy service Dec 04, 2009
I had dinner here with a friend. We were the only guests and I found this surprising as it was a Friday night. The restaurant is well located so this could not be the reason.

The decor was pretty standard for a restaurant like this. As the owner is from Egypt and they serve a lot of "Egyptian" food I expected to see Egyptian prints on the walls and that is exactly what I got. They also do pizzas and other Italian dishes but there were no Italian prints.

We were seated at the only window seat, which is beside the entrance. A candle on the table, paper placemats, nothing special. The menu came quickly and drinks orders were taken. The red wine was pleasant, the glass it came in was not.

We both ordered tomato soup for a starter. It was nice but I am pretty sure it came out of a tin.

The pizza (Paesana Gorgonzola) I ordered was wonderful though, one of the best I've ever tasted outside of Italy. A good base, not too many or too few toppings, just right. My friend's pizza looked really good too. All fresh ingredients were used, no mushrooms out of a tin here!

Unfortunately the dining experience in this restaurant was diminished by lousy service. It was not a question of the staff not being friendly but the mere fact that even with us two as their only customers we were not given much attention. When I wanted to order another drink I had to wait until my empty plate was being taken away as all the staff seemed to be hiding around the corner, out of view. One thing I found strange as well, especially having worked as a chef myself, was that the staff did not seem to talk amongst each other at all. It would have driven me nuts to work in a place like that!

So, if you are looking for a great pizza you should definitely go here, but maybe it would be better to pick up and eat at home or get it delivered! If it wasn't for the quality of the pizza I would have given this place one dot max!

Check Gieten Hotel Deals