Victoria Falls

Livingstone, Zambia

Victoria Falls Livingstone Reviews

crazytourist crazytou…
Victoria Falls, Livingstone and Chobe National Park!! Oct 04, 2011
My trip to Livingstone started out in the capital city, Lusaka. Getting a bus ticket in Lusaka was an experience in itself. The bus stop is one of the busiest terminals I had ever seen. No sooner did the taxi pull in, I saw what appeared to be mass hysteria. The noises were loud and the people were very aggressive. By this point, I had already done my research and knew the Carrier I was going to go with (I had done my research). Pulled several different ways by several different people, I was starting to get aggravated...to say the least. I finally looked back at my driver; he knew what I was going to ask. He jumped out, took my money and purchased the ticket for me. A thank you and a generous tip was my repayment. I hurried on the bus as to get away from the crowds.

The bus sat idling for about an hour. A tire change (or two?) and then we were off. A 14hr ride across beautiful Zambia was worth the pain of sitting for 14hrs. One 10 min stop is all we were lucky to get. The location was desolate. A bar and a side restaurant which was more like a grab and go. I got off the bus, stretched and walked at a moderate pace, whilst everyone else ran. I learned soon that 40 people, attempting to get a bite to eat in 10 min is, well....impossible. I grabbed a banana from my sac and relaxed.

We arrived to Livingstone at 1am. The city was quite and I was approached by a taxi driver who was ready to take me anywhere. "Have you ever heard of Jollyboy's"?, I asked. Yes...Yes sir. "That will be 1200 Kwacha". "Ok", I said. I sat down in the car, we drove across the street and made the first left turn. "We are here", he said. "Uhhhh....hmmm...ok", "that was a 25 second ride", I said. He smiled...I laughed and said good night.

Livingstone is small and you can walk the entire city within a few hours. There was a nice museum with information on John Livingstone and local customs. It was very informative. The night life was pretty good also. I must say, they really took a liking to me. The falls were AMAZING! I was prepared with a rain coat, but was still drenched. Be sure to pay the $2 and rent the poncho on the trail. My camera stayed dry but everything else was soaked.

My first bungie experience was at Vic Falls. It was also amazing. There is a bar at the falls, so my friends and I had a couple of tequila shots before the plunge. It really did the trick!

Took a day trip into Botswana, Chobe National Park. Great little day trip. The park was amazing and the animals were plentiful. Nothing like the Serengeti, but fine for a day trip. Was able to sneek into Namibia for about 10 min while on a water Safari which was part of our trip to Chobe.

There are a few companies that have Zambezi river tours for a few hours in the evening. They're inexpensive and offer a nice meal and drinks. Went with some friends on one of them which started near the Vic Falls and went up river. Nice evening with an amazing sunset.

All and all, I really loved Zambia. I met some really good friends there and really enjoyed my time!

12 days of pure relaxation and great times!
Meal from Lusaka to Livingstone
Arrival at JollyBoys 1am!
Vic Falls
Stealthy Photography!
Laura_Quigley2 Laura_Qu…
Amazing natural wonder.. Feb 05, 2011
Visiting the Vicoria Falls was an amazing experience. Found between Zambia and Zimbabwe there is nothing I can say to describe how beautiful it is. You really need to see it to believe it, words or pictures don't do it justice..

From where you enter the route around brings you around in a cirle and there are many places to stop and sit and to enjoy what you see.

If you are feeling adventurous you can climb down the 'Boling Point' which is a downhill trail bringing you to rocks at the foot of the fall. You need to be reasonably fit for this as the ground is very rocky and it can be tough to get down, (and worse getting back up!)and it is very steep in places. There are many monkeys along this trail so it is very important that you do NOT bring any food or bags down with you as they will attract the monkeys... However remember to bring water with you as it is not called the Boiling Point for no reason :)

The entry fee is minimal and changes depending on the time of the year that you visit.

You can also buy a rain shield but to be honest you get so wet its better to forget about it and just go with it :)

Enjoy!
Irish flag at the Falls
Mr Livingstone!
elena_r elena_r
Edge of the World May 18, 2011
I went to the Zambian side of Victoria Falls (purely because I refuse to support the Mugabe government and didn't want to buy a visa into Zimbabwe) and it was AMAZING. People will tell you that the Zim side is better, but I don't know how anything could be more amazing than what I saw. The falls are incredible, it's the most awesome experience because you are in the face of nature in a way that I don't think can be experienced elsewhere. It doesn't cost much to get in, like $10USD or something, and there are a lot of cool hikes that aren't hugely publicized--trek down to the devils pool, it's a great walk and cool view from the bottom of the falls.
Nzelvis Nzelvis
An Amazing Waterfall in the Middle of Nowhere Feb 09, 2010
My wife and I were in South Africa, and it was on a bit of a whim that we decided to travel to Victoria Falls as a bit of a wedding anniversary trip. I checked out the travel agent routes, but they are very expensive and not worth it. I ended up putting the trip together with a bit of budget in mind, and off we went.

The Falls themselves sit on the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe, and can be seen from either side. However, there's more to see on the Zimbabwe side, and in the reviewer's opinion, the Falls are more magnificent from there. The food/lodging situation in Zimbabwe is not as budget friendly, so we stayed in Zambia and got a double entry visa so that we could visit Zimbabwe for a day.

We were there in July (winter) and the Falls were still spectacular. The flor of the water on both sides made our mouths drop, and it was hard to believe that the water flow can be even greater in other months! There are plenty of beautiful walking trails on either side, and although it was a little cold in the morning, it warmed up quickly - I always wore shorts.

As we got close to the Smoke that Thunders, we saw why it got it's name - the waterfall creates columns of water vapor that looks like steam, and the obvious thundering of the falls was powerful. We forgot to bring rain gear though, and although we had sunny days, the closer we got to the falls, the wetter we got!

We ended up staying three days, which was enough to do what we wanted to do, but you could definitely stay longer. We got to see the falls from both sides and also did white-water rafting and a dinner cruise. Admission to the waterfall in both countries was a little steep, $20 US in Zimbabwe and the equivalent of $10 US in Zambia. If you are in Southern Africa though, these falls should not be missed!
The Falls Zambia side
The Falls Zimbabwe side
Victoria Falls!
pearcetoyou pearceto…
One of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World Nov 15, 2009
Victoria Falls is on the borders of Zimbabwe and Zambia, and is one of the most spectacular 7 natural wonders of the world - hence its almost universal appeal to travelers. The mighty Zambezi flows broad and placid to the brink of a 1700m wide basalt lip before taking a headlong 100 meter plunge into the thunderous, frothy chasm of the gorge below. This is the world's largest sheet of falling water. Victoria Falls serves as a primary safari gateway to Southern Africa, offers gentle safari activities above the Falls including game viewing, bird watching and fishing and adrenalin filled activities below such as white water rafting and bungee jumping. Our visit here was just one day, so we went to the opposite cliff, facing the falls, where you can take a well marked and paved walk through the rain forests. Every so often the path will open out into a clearing for a view of the falls. Further along this path is the Knife Edge Bridge which gives an impressive panorama of the falls. The intense spray from the falls will definitely get you wet, so don’t carry anything you don’t want to get wet! They also rent raincoats if you think you might melt. Another great perspective is deep within the gorge where the Falls descend, called Boiling Pot. It’s quite a steep climb, but well-worn steps make it a fairly easy descent. Coming up is of course a little more strenuous, but the view from below of the wide Zambezi thundering over the cliff, then compressed into the deep thin crevice turning into the Batoka Gorge, is quite spectacular. From this vantage point one can also see up to the impressive Victoria Falls Bridge, spanning the gorge over 100 meters above. If you are anywhere close to this area, don’t miss Victoria Falls. It will leave an unmistakable impression; the falls release so much power and raw energy. It is incredible to hear the roar of all this water. It cost 20USD to get into the rainforest for non-citizens, but well worth it.
VF Bridge
pearcetoyou says:
Thanks, Jeremy.
I've never been to Niagra Falls, so I guess it's probably similiar. But it's definitely an awesome thing to see.
Posted on: Nov 15, 2009
vulindlela says:
Nice review!
Definitely on our dream list!
Posted on: Nov 15, 2009
nikisim nikisim
Go Down to the Boiling Point! Mar 28, 2008
My best experience so far at the falls was arriving via taxi (cheap) and heading on foot down to the boiling point via this steep downward walkway that gets more complicated and dense the further you go. It's exciting for the adventurous! Halfway down, you'll encounter young men who will want to follow and 'guide' you the rest of the way for money. You can choose to pay them or not it's up to you but not required. However they will become your companion thus making you feel a bit pressured. But I told my 'companion' that I loved his company but didn't need any help and he was nice. I stayed down there for awhile on the rocks just taking in the view from the bottom of the falls with the mist spraying up and watching people bungee jump from the bridge overhead crossing to Zimbabwe. Beautiful!
View Looking up Towards Zimbabwe S…
jeffy jeffy
Dec 17, 2002
Mosi-oa-Tunya, or Victoria Falls, is perfect.

Without a doubt one of the greatest things that I've seen/experienced in my travels. At over a mile wide with drops over 360 feet high (http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm), the falls are stunning and left me in complete awe. Few other places on Earth have had an effect on me as great as Victoria Falls.

Straddling the Zimbabwe/Zambia border, and not too far from the 4-way border that also includes Botswana and Namibia, Victoria is the premiere attraction in all of Southern Africa. With panoramic views from Zimbabwe and opportunities to see it up close from Zambia, the Zambezi River flows through dense green vegetation and drops into the Batoka Gorge, meandering in zig zags for many miles.

In addition, for better or worse, the Falls area is saturated with opportunities for many activities. Nearby game parks are very accessible for safari, the Victoria Falls Bridge is arguably one the best places in the world to bunjee-jump, and the river itself has world-famous white waters for rafting and kayaking. All this and much more for the thrill-seeking types.

Don't buy into any Victoria vs. Iguazu arguments because they're both beautiful and I still can't decide which one I liked best. One thing's for sure, Niagara ain't $#!t in comparisson.
Africancrab Africanc…
An Outstanding, awe Inspiring Force of Nature May 14, 1997
The bigger portion of Victoria Falls is actually located in Zimbabwe. But like Niagara Falls it is shared by two countries; Zambia and Zimbabwe. This review is for the Zambian side of the water fall. Nothing prepares you for what to expect until you get to the metal bridge. Located within the Moi oa Tunya National Park in Livingstone, it is one of Zambia's main attractions and one of the top ten wonders of Africa.

The Zambian side of the falls is just as beautiful and inspiring as the Zimbabwean side. Over a small metal bridge, the meandering path leads to the water falls revealing rainbow colors even without a rainbow in the sky. The torrential down pour gets you wet down to your under garments. I did not like getting wet of course as I had not carried a change of cloth, but the excitement and wonder caused by the falls over powered my desire to stay dry.

As close as we got to the waterfalls, the sound of its down pour is deafening.

This is a must see, it is one of the top wonders of the world. It is a result of the Zambezi River flowing through the African plains, and then suddenly makes a 360 deep drop creating the wonderful water curtain that is Victoria Falls.
Africancrab says:
You are welcome!
Posted on: Jun 04, 2012
jaydub83 says:
mine as well. Thanks for the review. WONDERFUL and AMAZING photos!!
Posted on: Jun 04, 2012
Africancrab says:
You are quite welcome.
Posted on: Jun 02, 2012

Related Travel Blogs About Victoria Falls

Arriving in Livingstone (Victoria Falls)
How I get in Livingstone comming from South AmericaThis is really not the beginning of this trip, since the adventure starts in São Paulo where we catch the flight to Johannesburg in South Africa. I…Livingstone and other luxurious lodges, but it is very amiable place. You may find more information about Maramba River Lodge at their website: http://www.maramba-zambia.com We stayed on both Tents…
Livingstone (Zambia) and Victoria Falls
Ok this will have to be quick cos I am running out of internet time. I had a great time at Livinstone which is on the Zambia side of Victoria Falls.  I went up in a helicopter over the falls wh… Ok this will have to be quick cos I am running out of internet time. I had a great time…
General info. prices,places & transports
So far I have my french friend Julien and my guitar that wants to come with, I would like to get 1 or two people more to have a nice travel group. The route is flexible and can be changed i…Livingstone (Victoria Falls): http://www.victoriafalls-guide.net/shoestrings.html 4€ p.p.   20€ travel + 30€ overnight for lets say 1 week…

Check Livingstone Hotel Deals