Veski Trahter

453 3776

Veski Trahter Kuressaare Reviews

tj1777 tj1777
No more flour produced in the restaurant windmill Sep 05, 2013
Ok to be fair - we went to this place for one reason and one reason only. It was by far the most charming looking restaurant in the city. The restaurant is located inside an old windmill which still got its wings. There is a stair leading upstairs but the only room open for service while we were there were the ground floor - I am not sure if you sometimes can sit upstairs.

The tables are made out of the stone which was used to grind the wheat into flour in the old days - due to this there is a strange little hole in the center of the table. Fortunately the table is big enough for the hole to be irrelevant and you just sit and eat the outskirt of the table. Somebody else had just had drinks at the table before we came - but the table still looked fairly clean. This is fortunate since the waitress didn’t bother cleaning the table before setting it up for our dinner.

The food is what I believe is very traditional Estonian food - to be honest I am no expert in Estonian food so it could be something completely foreign to Estonia without me being able to tell. We get soup inside bread which is good - and there is always the possibility to dig a little deeper to get a bite of bread. The soup is probably better than the alternative starter which is dumplings with some sort of dipping.

The main is pork in mushroom gravy - which is decent but not quite as tasty as the wild boar stew which is very flavorful.

The drinks are quite interesting - there is a white wine with cloudberry which has a bit of a strange sweet taste of the berry and not much taste of wine. They also got a cloudberry beer - I have never heard of cloudberry before and the waitress couldn’t really explain to me what cloudberry is. So what to do - naturally I go for the beer with the mystery berries and hope for the best. The cloudberry beer doesn’t taste much like ordinary beer. The sweetness of the berries overpowers the usual taste of hops making it much sweeter than usual beer - it is kind of flavored a bit like the soda based alcohol targeting young teenagers. After trying the cloudberry beer I figure I need to try one more of their special beers and the choice is made for the honey beer - it is still a bit sweeter in the taste than regular beer but this time the standard bitterness of a beer is still intact so it gives more of an impression of drinking beer than the cloudberries.
The restaurant from the street
The restaurant from within the gat…
Inside the restaurant