Southampton Row, London, United Kingdom

Verdi London Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Verdi May 11, 2010
Verdi is, unfortunately, not a very good Italian restaurant. It looks promising, being cosily decorated and smelling great. It’s in a nice location on Southampton Row and you would expect it to be fine, but I think that they have become complacent because the high turnover of business travellers in nearby hotels probably give them enough business not to rely on repeat trade.

The waiting staff are woefully under trained. The head waitress was very keen and lovely, but was so busy offering tourist advice to the nearby table that we waited about ten minutes for one of the other waitresses to get close enough to ask her for menus. It is lovely when waiting staff are friendly and helpful to tourists, but not at the expense of getting other people a menu. I feel bad criticising the service because the girls were all nice, but the service was totally chaotic, with long periods with no waitresses anywhere to be seen, followed by three in a row asking if we wanted pepper. This is obviously a training issue, but they really do need to just sort it out. The food arrived quickly, once we had tracked down a waitress, and was perfectly pleasant but not great. The bill is slightly higher than it ought to be for the quality.

All in all, I think there are enough other places to eat where I wouldn’t recommend this one. It’s a real shame, because I am normally very keen to recommend independent restaurants rather than big chains, but in this case, go to Pizza Express nearby.

Related Travel Blogs About Verdi

Opera Night
Seriously, I don't think I slept much at all, those bells were really really annoying.  It must have been about 7.30am when I did my walk of shame back to my own hostel.  I walked the half …Verdi.  We knew Thakshi would be joining us from London that evening so we asked if she would be interested…

Check London Hotel Deals