Verandahs Backpackers Lodge

Verandahs Backpackers Lodge Rates and Deals

Verandahs Backpackers Lodge Auckland Reviews

nzanya nzanya
Sep 10, 2010
This is the first backpackers I stayed in - of course a BBH member, so I could get 3NZ$ off the normal room price. It is situated near K'Road and Ponsonby, popular shopping miles for tourists. I walked about 15-20 minutes to the city centre, but that's okay. I didn't want to stay in one of the party hostels like Base or Nomads, so I really didn't care to walk a bit more to the centre, but I could get good sleep and quality accommodation.

They have no bunks, so very one gets a great made-up single bed, totally comfy! And there are are not more than five beds in one room. Verandahs is divided into two building, the one I stayed in contains the reception, the landline phone and a comfy lounge with a computer. You won't find a TV in the hostel, but who needs a TV when staying in Auckland... For using the kitchen I had to walk to the second building. Clean, enough pots and pans for everyone and free spices - that's how it should be. Next to the kitchen is a second lounge, bigger than in the other building and even with a piano.

Right behind the hostel is the Western Park - a great green area to do some sports at daytime or watch the blue Sky Tower at nighttime. But you can do that even from the hostel, I had a great view from my room :)

And just a few minutes down the road you can find Auckland's best Fish'n'Chips!

All in all, I was really happy that I stayed my first nights in New Zealand in this hostel with it's great beds and view and not too far from the city centre.
technotripp says:
is there somewhere to lock you things? and is it secure ?
Posted on: Jul 18, 2012
Dave81 Dave81
great place to stay after an exhausting travel Jan 14, 2009
Verandahs was my first stay here in New Zealand. Read alot of this lodge before I headed to New Zealand. Heard only good things and now I can confirm this! Stayed in a single room and was happy that I did so. The room was big enough and the bed was very comfortable. The right thing after the very long and exhausting flights. There is a balcony round the house where you can go for a smoke or just for relaxing. Verandahs is located adjacent Western Park and is therefore a quiet place. The busy Ponsonby road is also not far, just a few steps away.
dinasabbour dinasabb…
Backpackers Heaven Aug 17, 2008
The minute you approach this backpackers lodge, you immediately feel the warmth and the welcome waiting for you inside. There is no fuss about this place, all the guests are respectful of one another. The dorms can be a bit tight for space, but you will not find a more comfortable bed (no bunks!) and pure, white, crisp, clean sheets! And don't get me started on the bathrooms...clinically clean and a shower that could easily fit 3 people inside! Campbell the manager and assistant Katrin are both sweethearts and very helpful. When I was staying there in April, there was a new extension of the lodge being built in the house next door so that could probably be finished by now. As for location, it is a short bus ride to the city and off Ponsonby road for great shopping, bars and restaurants. This is not your place if you are up for partying, the vibe here is more chilled out. Verandahs is and always will be my home away from home in Auckland!

Check Verandahs Backpackers Lodge Rates and Deals