Vegie Bar

378 Brunswick Street, Melbourne, Australia

Vegie Bar Melbourne Reviews

SamsTravels SamsTrav…
Keep well clear of this place! Jun 17, 2011
I seriously don’t have a good word to say about this place. The service I received was truly outrageous and the food was crap!

After ordering the veggie risotto a dish I eat regularly, I noticed almost immediately it had a really bitter after taste and did not taste good. As such, I informed the waiter of my dissatisfaction and he promptly took my plate muttering under his breath that he hadn't has any other complaints and walked off. Well that got my back right up! I mean excuse me….. About 5 minutes later he returned to say both the chef, manager and he all tried the risotto off my plate and that there was nothing wrong with it and perhaps it was ‘my pallet’ that was the problem and not the dish! He then added that unfortunately because there wasn’t ‘in his opinion’ anything wrong with the dish they would have no option but to charge me for it. (This being a dish that I had eaten 3 spoonfuls of and then had 3 strangers eat from the same plate.) I was disgusted and refused to pay. The waiter then proceeded to ague with me and said that this wouldn’t be an option raising his voice to me. I shook my head and stood my ground voicing that I would not be intimidated and asked for the bill. The bill came I left a few bucks for my drink and left.

Overall I was disgusted with the service and food and would never go back!! Keep well clear of this place!
Chelsea Chelsea
Apr 21, 2007
Vegie Bar, as the name implies, is a vegetarian restaurant.

I try not to go there too often, but I have a fairly stupid reason for doing this. It's just too far to walk. I live in North Melbourne, on the other side of uni, and it's about, oh, a good forty-minute walk. Granted, I'm a slow walker, but that's beside the point. Melbourne, you really need to build a tram line that goes across uni east-west.

Now that I've got that out of my system, I can tell you about the food. I want to say good things about Vegie Bar, and again, this is going to sound silly - but every time I go there, I realise just how vegetarian it is.

You see, there's vegetarian, and there's vegetarian. There's vegetarian where, you eat a good range of veggies but the meal is recognisable as a meal.(I'll have to tread carefully with what I say here...) I don't mean to say that meals at Vegie Bar aren't recognisable as meals; what I mean is, meals at Vegie Bar are the second kind of vegetarian: some overly-exotic concoction of obscure vegetables, cooked in a style that you'd only find in some little-known village in the Middle East. I had risotto, and it was black. I don't know if it's just me, but I've never had black risotto.

In Vegie bar's defense, risotto probably isn't their best meal. Their most popular meal is probably the lentil burger. And they do offer an unexpected range of original vegetarian dishes (smoked tofu pizza, for one). And the place is generally very popular anyway, due in part to its location in on the trendy Brunswick Street in the suburb of Fitzroy.

A must, if you're visiting Melbourne. If not for the food, then purely to eat at a restaurant most Melburnians have eaten in at some point in their life.

Check Melbourne Hotel Deals