Vatican Museum

Viale Vaticano, Vatican City, Italy

Vatican Museum Vatican City Reviews

Andy99 Andy99
The Vatican Museums Sep 28, 2012
The Vatican Museums are a great assembly of paintings, sculpture, tapestries, and artifacts dating from ancient times to Renaissance housed in the Belvedere Palace. Some of the art on display was commissioned by Popes of past eras to decorate the place. Many of the ancient objects came to the Vatican's collection by being discovered in Rome or elsewhere during the era of the Papal States and by Vatican sponsorship of early archaeology. More than one visit is required in order to begin to see it all!

A vist typically begins in the Egyptian and Etruscan rooms, continues to the Octagonal Courtyard and Gallery of the Greek Cross where Roman sculpture exhibits begin. (The famous Apollo Belvedere and Laocoon sculptures are here.) One then continues to the Gallery of the Candelabra (Greco-Roman sculpture), the Hall of Tapestries, and the Hall of Maps. The Hall of Tapestries is hung with Flemish tapestries designed by Raphael and originally intended for the Sistine Chapel. The Hall of Maps is decorated with frescoes of relief maps of each region of the Italian peninsula painted between 1580 and 1585.

The Roman sculptures are priamrily of gods and goddeses, but there are also everyday scenes like a boy playing at tossing a coin. I found the statue of an aged fisherman very moving as it spoke across the ages. The tapestries are beautiful, depicting events in the life of Jesus.

After these, there are the galleries of paintings, including the Raphael Rooms. (Reception rooms decorated with frescoes by Raphael.)

The Sistine Chapel with its frescoes by Michelangelo is also a part of the Vatican Museums. But, that is another review entirely!

The Vatican Museums are always very popular and the queue is long, but there is priority for tours and advance sales. See the web site for the best way to obtain tickets for your visit. Admission is 15 Euros.

Photography is permitted in the Vatican Museums, but not in the Sistine Chapel.
Vatican Musuems
Queue for tickets
Varcare la soglia (Crossing the Th…
Hercules of the Theatre of Pompey.…
sunoneleon says:
I've been here, but because the queue is too long and I only have one day left in Rome, I decided only to go in the Church line and not the museum line. Glad that you have great photos I can have an idea how it is like inside. I would suggest people should buy the entrance ticket online to safe queuing time.
Posted on: Nov 05, 2012
rsvpme says:
Well done....some great pics..very illustrative....Rich !
Posted on: Oct 18, 2012
traceyirish traceyir…
Well worth it! Jun 04, 2011
We went to visit the Vatican on our first full day in Rome. We had been reccomended to take a paid tour, to avoid queuing and its definately worth the extra €20.

We used Vox tours. Our guide was a lovely chatty girl called Anna (I think!). She was really helpful and answered any extra questions given to her. It was nice to have a tour guide that actually interacted, rather than a drone reading from a book!

It is a very long tour, so bring water & sneaky snack to nibble on the way around.
dolfijn dolfijn
Jan 24, 2008
You'll must see the Vatican museum when you're in Vatican City! Please take your time to visit this museum with all it's glory and beautiful history, sculptures, fresco's etc.

If you go on sunday the entrance is free but you'll not have the time to visit the whole museum. The queue's are terrible outside the entrance but also inside the museum it is to growded to see everthing good. If you are interested in the history of the Vatican City, The Renaissance time, fresco's, sculptures etc. this is definatly the place to go, but go on another day to explorer this museum, because you'll need a whole day to observated everything. Me, myself, I have spend there 5- 6 hours to see the best rooms of the museum and still I didn't see everthing or heard every history! But I got a damm good impression. It is very much worth your money! I loved it!

You're alowed to take picture and film except in the Sistine Chapel because of damaging the fresco's! Please respect that, don't take pictures! The picture I have in my review or in my blog of the fresco's of the Sistine Chapel I downloaded it from the Vatican museum website or Wikepidia!

TIP: bring a mirror with you! It is easier to look into the mirror then look all the time upwards. It saves a lot of neckache.

The Vatican Museums (Italian: Musei Vaticani) are the public art and sculpture museums in the Vatican City, which display works from the extensive collection of the Roman Catholic Church. Pope Julius II founded the museums in the 16th century. The Sistine Chapel and the Stanze della Segnatura decorated by Raphael are on the visitor route through the Vatican Museums. The Vatican Museums trace their origin to one marble sculpture, purchased 500 years ago.
euroval says:
Wish I'd known about that mirror trick before I went. Glad to know that now regardless b/c there is still so much to see:)
Posted on: Feb 21, 2008
yadilitta yadilitta
Full of Art Vatican Museum Jun 19, 2006
Everybody has heard about this marvelous museum. This is not part of the Roma Pass and might not be cheap, but totally worth.

It's more than just 1 museum, there you can find pieces of Greek, Roman, Egyptian and Etruscan art. Besides the Masterpieces of art from the Renaissance.

The museum is huge, so be sure to pick up the collections you are more interested in. Of course the famous Sistine Chapel is a MUST.

They are always long lines, so tried to arrive early. Be aware that there might be people trying to sell their spots at the lines.

If you couldn't arrive early (I couldn't) don't worry and come back after 12:00, where the lines are shorter. Yes, you might not be able to see everything but quality over quantity.
dansgirl1978 dansgirl…
May 13, 2004
If I had to use one word to describe the Vatican Museum it would be: Amazing!!!! It was everything I was hoping it would be! I admit I had high expectations and surprisingly it met them! After seeing the impressive ancient bronze pinecone, globe of the world and the pair of Egyptian lions in the courtyard we went into the museum and were greeted by the equally impressive "Apollo Belvedere", and my personal favorite "Laocoon". Just about every artifact that I had read about or wanted to see was present at the Vatican Museum. The Hall of Tapestries was so beautiful and being able to personally examine Raphael's "School of Athens" was a big highlight of the trip! Of course you can't leave out the Sistine Chapel, but that's a whole other review on it's own!

My two big suggestions for the Vatican Museum: Hire a guide/tour because being shown around by a knowledgable person can't be beat! We met ours at St. Peter's Bascilica, where companies/guides give free tours and then offer to take you on a tour of the museum for a fee. It was the best 25 Euro I spent while in Rome!

My other suggestions is to mail all of your postcards from the Vatican post office. Why? Because we were told that the Italian postal system is notoriously unreliable, while the Vatican postal system is efficient and reliable. I can attest to this since our postcards were received only 4 days after being sent, which is amazing since they had to get all the way to California!
Apollo Belvedere
One of a pair of Egyptian lions in…
The bronze pinecone and pair of br…
kristinasub says:
you are right, it worth endeed, but also 5 hours is not enough to see all, there is no way, i also wait almost 2 hour to in, and spend more than 5 inside and had no time to come again because was just 3 days in Rome, but who said that's last time? :o) Rome wait for us again :o)
Posted on: Feb 15, 2008
clarity25 says:
I've always wanted to go to Vatican City. I've never even been to Italy. I've been enjoying your blog entries. Sounds so amazing!
Posted on: Sep 08, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Vatican Museum

Roma Italia
Rome was sooo pretty and definitely needed more than 4 days to see everything. First of all we landed at the Leonardo Da Vinci Airport around 10:30 from Dusseldorf through Easyjet :) the ticket was a…City, Vatican Museum, and my favorite Castle St. Angelo where you can view the entire city from atop a castle…
Rome (20-27 April)
I spent a week in Rome which stretched over the Easter long weekend and absolutely fell in love with the place!  Sorry that these blogs are all just full of gushing praise, but I just love it.&n…Vatican City museum (and Sistine Chapel) when I heard that there are 1000 rooms and that it would take…
Vatican Museums and a Pope Sighting!
Finally...I am going to fulfill one of my dreams to see the Sistine Chapel!  I've wanted to see it since I was 17 and saw pictures of it in my Advanced Placement Art History course in high schoo…museums was around the city walls and headed to the entrance of Vatican City if you are familar with…

Compare Rome Hotel Rates (2.1km away)

Vatican Museum Map