Van Gogh - CHAB

Check Brussels Hotel Deals

Van Gogh - CHAB Brussels Reviews

TheTravelApprentice TheTrave…
Decent Hostel but needs Locker Maintenance Apr 27, 2011
Not the safest hostel from what i remember...

I should have taken a photo of the locker room next to the front desk as nearly half the lockers were bent open and vandalized. Who knows how or why they let the locker room get to this point but it looked really bad.

There was a guy from Brazil who got his backpack stolen from behind the counter too. Apparently he left it with the staff and when someone else told an employee it was their bag, they took it and the Brazilian lost all his stuff. Luckily he had his passports and credit cards on him.

I suppose this could happan anywhere but because of the poorly maintained and vandalized locker area, i would hesitate to return here. Safety was certainly an issue back in July 2007.

Funny, the travbuddy named "danorwick" who reviewed this same hostel was here on July 21, 2007... i was here on the 26th... must have just missed him.

Also, there were no lockers in the rooms, which is something i like to have at a hostel. I travel with one of those coiled bike locks and secured my backback to my bed, but my roomates were good and i never felt threatened or worried about losing my stuff.

+On the bright side, the bar is good and i met a bunch of cool people while drinking a good selection of local brew. I played a couple games of pool too so it is a fun hostel.

The breakfast was good too. Any hostel which serves eggs is tops by me. Not all do and i love eggs so it's always a treat when i get them for breakfast.

I'm giving the Van Gogh an overall rating of 3 stars as opposed to 2 because i'd like to the think the lockers have been maintained since 2007, if not then the i'll assume the locker room is completely trashed by now.
Light through blue curtains at the…
danorwick danorwick
Jul 21, 2007
This hostel was very pleasant. It was clearly huge, but the rooms were clean and well-lit. The disavantages of the accomodation was the huge ratio of people to toilets/showers and the rooms could get very stuffy at night. The staff were conversant and helpful as they should be but it did seemed to be slightly undermanned at the busiest times of the day. The locker room was not kept in very good condition I must mention, with some of the lockers in very bad need to replacement, and the probably should get rid of whatever was creating the awful stench. Breakfast was served between around 7.30 til 9 if I remember correctly, and was large enough to survive on til lunchtime, but not exactly exciting as there is no choice whatsoever. The highlight of the hostel was the bar. Opening at 6pm it stocked a great supply of Belgium's famous beers at prices much lower than could be found elsewhere in the city. With 2 indoor rooms and a patio the area was perfect for staying in and meeting fellow travellers as indeed we did on the last night.
yadilitta yadilitta
Nice hostel in Brussels Jun 29, 2006
When I was in Brussels I stayed at the Van Gogh Hostel. I have to say I found it very good. Although I arrived to it just by chance, I´m glad I got lost and ended up here.

Not only the atmosphere was great. Also the location is very good. Just walking distance to Grand Place - at least I did so. They have a nice bar and a confortable leaving room. Also there are nice chairs and table outdoors, so you can enjoy the nice weather.

The staff were friendly and it was clean and safe. They serve a good breakfast too and they have lockers where you can leave your stuff without any problem.

Definitely, if I'd go back to Brussels, I'd stay here.
my room