Valle Nevado Skiing Resort

Valle Nevado, Chile

Valle Nevado Skiing Resort Reviews

SirRosco SirRosco
Skiing in the Chilenian Andes Mar 12, 2012
It is not easy to find out where to go for a skiing day trip from Santiago. There are quite several options. According to the quality all of them appear to be comparable with each other and being at the same level of quality.

From around 4 choices to go for, I picked Valle Nevado in the end because I was tired of checking out the internet what's best and what's less.

My operator was a small laid-back tour company (Forgot the name but I'll find out - just ask me again). We were charged already by credit card from the hostel and got picked up at 7am in the morning.

We drove around 75 to 90min up the hill with dozens of evil curves. The resorts are located highly up in the Andes - all on different locations around a chain of mountains. However they are all so close to each other they still stay indepenedent from each other - it may be acually an easy thing to connect them and making a big resort out of those small ones.

Therefore, as an European, I have to admit that I usually go for skiing in resorts being 12 times as big as Valle Nevado is but it was still worth the visit. The pists were in good condition although not all lifts were open.

The rental of skis and poles was included into our tour charge so I cannot say how much it basically was. But in contrast to other tour operators who serve their own rental, where people have to go first in Santiago - we directly drove up to the resort and got our stuff there from the resort's rental. Here's the advantage: In the early morning one will be at the resort at first when it's still calm, getting your stuff quickly and you're already ready for the slopes.

The quality of the rented skis was extraordinary good. They provide notable skis for each one's desire: Race carvers, slalom carvers and so on. My friend took a snowboard and he said he was also totally happy with his choice.

The only negative thing I got to say is, that at 5pm, when all the resorts around officially close, the street downbound is seriously clogged because also the streets from the other centers are meeting up and resulting in this one curvy way toward Santiago. It took us more than two hours of stop and go to even get to the suburban area of Santiago. That was nerve-wrecking and luckily we sat in this tour bus and I was not the one steering the car.
Valle Nevado Ski Resort