Use of Cellphones and Broadband Sticks

Philippines

Use of Cellphones and Broadband Sticks Reviews

cotton_foam cotton_f…
'nice to know...' Jun 12, 2012
Most cellphones or broadband connections in the Philippines are prepaid and reloadable. If one is staying in the Philippines for a few months (like I did), it is advisable to buy a cellphone as soon as you arrive in the country. You can purchase a plain, simple and cheap cellphones at the malls. Make sure a SIM card is already attached into the cellphone. Otherwise, you may need to buy a separate SIM card for minimal amount. Remember to purchase a cellphone pre-paid card also.

Do not use cellphones for placing calls because it eats up minutes credit fast, instead sending texts messages is more practical. That way your pre-paid card aka "load" or your allowed minutes will last longer. By the way, just so you know... the locals consider Philippines as “the texting capital of the world”!

I will DISCOURAGE anyone from purchasing a broadband stick for internet connections. I bought a prepaid broadband stick from Shoe Mart Mall of Asia Money Exchange Booth. I bought it for PHP 900.00 (about US$ 22.00). The prepaid broadband is called “Tattoo” by Globe. Globe is supposedly one of the most reliable telecom/internet companies in the Philippines. Sadly, “Tattoo” didn’t work at all! I just wasted my $22.00.

If you need to use the internet, Wi-Fi connections in the Philippines is not a problem and mostly available in restaurants, malls, coffee shops, hotel lobbies, and now even in public busses FOR FREE! You just have to ask for the password.
not so fancy cellphone
never buy this kind...
Ils1976 says:
indeed nice to know! Have to remember that!
rsvpme says:
Likewise the same..I just keep and save sim cards...by country.
gingerbatik says:
likewise, usually I have my cellphone and just buy a sim card in the country I visit.
Philippines Map