Urquhart Castle

01456 450551

Urquhart Castle Drumnadrochit Reviews

hanleyscot hanleysc…
No Monsters...But a Pretty Cool Castle Jun 18, 2017
I took a Jacobite cruise from The Loch Ness Clansman Hotel to The Urquhart Castle site. I wrote in my journal that it wasn't worth the money but it wasn't because of the castle. The problem with going by boat is that they only give you enough time at the actual site. I felt a bit rushed. But then again, I'm probably just slow. And not just mentally. The castle can, of course, be reached by automobile. I would suggest that method instead so that you can stay as long as you would like.

What remains of the castle ruins is still pretty impressive and provides many opportunities for some great photography. While I was there I noticed a couple having some wedding photos taken. Not surprising at all.

It was not too crowded on the day that I went so that made it a bit more enjoyable for me. I didn't really have to wait to long to climb up stairs or really wait in line for any of the optimal vantage points. I have heard that it is a major tourist destination and that it can get very packed with people.

The castle has a quite a history which I found very interesting. Each room/section has a sign explaining its purpose.

There is a gift shop/cafe/visitor center on the property with many items of interest to be seen. I did not have a guided tour but they are available.

Urquhart Castle is definitely worth checking out...just make sure you bring your camera!
spencersterlingtoto spencers…
Amazing Apr 17, 2015
Took a cruise on the Lochness River and out of nowhere, you come upon the Urquhart Castle! Beautiful scenery of the highlands in the background. The history of this place was very interesting, though very tragic. The area surroundings made me feel as if I were living back in the medieval times! ! Overall, great great place! I can definitely sit on a bench all day here and stare at the River! And if you have never been to Scotland, make sure you have a jacket or something thick to wear

Check Drumnadrochit Hotel Deals