Urbis Museum

Manchester, England

Urbis Museum Manchester Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Urbis Feb 14, 2010
Urbis has now shut, to be replaced with the national football museum. This is a good thing for the economy of Manchester, but a tragedy for people who are not the least interested in bloody football but are interested in Factory records and Manga. I will leave this review as a memorial. :(

Urbis is a museum come gallery with a great shop and cafe in the heart of Manchester. Housing off the wall exhibits, often with a theme of Manchester history or social responsibility, it is a fascinating place to end up. And it's free. Score.

Amongst the exhibitions I've seen there has been one on how Manga shaped culture, including street fashion in Manchester, a history of the world famous Hacienda Club and Factory records, something about great advertising, and another one about how to garden in your appartment. The exhibits are usually very well curated and interesting, and you could easily take children in there because there is always colouring activities and large signs warning you if something won't be suitable.

The building itself is cool too; there's a great big diagonal elevator, but you can only use it if you need it because you are disabled or have a buggy or something. And it has a green roof.

The shop is a good place to get interesting art books and postcards, and things like that. I go back each time I'm in Manchester, as a break from the joys of the Arndale centre.
londonstudent says:
So that's where the diagonal elevator is! I so want to go, just to have a ride in it :)
Posted on: Jun 22, 2008
maxcw maxcw
Oct 17, 2005
Housed inside an ultra-modern glass building, the Urbis museum has many exhibits related to the experience of urban life. Many of the pieces are multimedia and interactive, as opposed to abstract enigmas. Fun to visit on a date.

Related Travel Blogs About Urbis Museum

Manchester
Manchester is my second favorite city in England.  It's great. I can't really explain why - I'll have to make it up as I go along.  But it's a place that I want to spend a lot more time.&nb…Urbis, a design museum just opposite the cathedral.  Like a lot of Manchester, it's a shiny new building…

Check Manchester Hotel Deals