Upper Sioux Agency State Park

Upper Sioux Agency State Park - Yellow Medicine River

Upper Sioux Agency State Park Granite Falls Reviews

alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
hiking and camping in the prairie Apr 25, 2009
Upper Sioux Agency was created in the late 1800s as a means to convert the Sioux Indians to Christianity and educate them as well as teach them agriculture. During the Sioux Uprising, several of the buildings were burned. Stone outlines of several of the buildings remain and one duplex was rebuilt. There are several informative signs near the ruins. The park is located along where the Minnesota River Yellow Medicine River meet.

The park in the prairie region of southwestern Minnesota and the hiking club trail follows the prairie edge. I decided to cut down on a trail to walk along the river. It was still early in the season and the trail was not well maintained. After I crossed the highway, I lost the trail. I worked my way through the woods and found the trail again. The trees still had no leaves, but some little white wildflowers were popping up.

The river was nice to walk along and I saw and heard several woodpeckers in the woods. The trail came out into the prairie again and went back up to the bluffs of rolling prairie. After my hike I drove through the small campground. You can even rent teepees there! At the main entrance of the park is a very nice sledding hill. The prairie in generally pretty flat, so a good sledding hill can be hard to come by here.

Overall I wasn’t too impressed with this park, mainly because I’m not a fan of prairie hiking trails. I wasn’t very familiar with the Sioux Uprising and since the Visitor Center wasn’t open, I felt I didn’t learn much about it.

Entrance to the park requires a $5 daily fee or $25 annual permit.
sign by sledding hill