Unterlinden Museum

1 Rue des Unterlinden, Colmar, France
03 89 20 15 50

Unterlinden Museum Colmar Reviews

Vikram Vikram
This is the 2nd most visited 'Musee de France' site after Ile-de-France. Yep, believe it! Sep 14, 2015
There are those museums I've visited (Vatican City, Louvre, etc.) where I knew well ahead about their significance. And then there are the lost gems that I'm glad I stumbled upon as part of a trip. Who knew I'd plan a trip around cycling and wine tasting and end up visiting a museum that bears the quality label Musée de France and is one of the most visited in France outside of the Île-de-France?! With roughly 200,000 visitors per year, the museum is the most visited in Alsace.

The Unterlinden Museum is currently closed for refurbishment and as a result, has a new home ,but again in a central church. I felt 9E was quite expensive given the shortage of pieces (later found out that only a few Renaissance pieces have moved here).

The highlight is undoubtedly the Isenheim Altarpiece by Matthias Grunewald. It was painted for a Monastery near Colmar which took care of the sick and needy (particularly plague sufferers and people with skin diseases). The image of the crucified Christ is pitted with plague-type sores, showing patients that Jesus understood and shared their afflictions.

The other pieces in the museum were again, as good but none as striking as the above. To me, the best experience about this museum was the fact that it was housed in a House of worship - walking around seeing art amidst stained windows, the altar, etc. was something totally special!

They offer free audio guides which is a good thing and adds a lot of context to the paintings as the written descriptions are sparse at best.

I would recommend this only if you're an art lover. It's quite pricey so don't be disappointed when you see a dozen paintings around you and think "is this it? I thought 9E would get me more!"
Zagnut66 says:
They need to pay for those renovations.
Posted on: Oct 07, 2015