United Hostel Frankfurt City Center

Check Frankfurt Hotel Deals

United Hostel Frankfurt City Center Reviews

jl_ghs316 jl_ghs316
I finally had a bad hostel experience Sep 06, 2012
I have always told people about staying in hostels and how it has always been a good experience and fun. Well, I now have to add an asterisk to that. I stayed here based off of the hostel world reviews and was actually looking forward to it. I knew that they charged extra for towels going in, but that was just the tip of it. First off, the hostel is actually centrally located right down the street from the main train station so kudos for that. The lobby area seemed very inviting even though there was quite a bit of security to get in. That was actually kind of nice because the street outside was a little rough, with quite a few bars and I think strip clubs. The lady at the desk acted like I was interrupting her evening when I came to check in.

I received my key and paid for my towel and lock but was charged a deposit for them as well if I remember. Upon arriving to my room, there was a Japanese couple already there, and they would be the only other people in the 6 bunk room which was nice. The rooms bathroom only had a sink and a shower with the toilets all down the hall with a large communal shower room that offered zero privacy. The couple were using the shower in the room so I used the shower down the hall despite having no towel hooks and no stalls. Upon arriving back to my room, the couple had apparently not figured out how to close the shower door and flooded the bathroom leaving the whole room soggy and the bathroom unusable.

I needed to charge my phone and couldnt figure out how to get the plug to work so I went downstairs to ask the desk lady. She said I needed to pay for and put a 20 euro deposit down for the night light plug that would then turn on the power socket. As there was no other way to charge my phone I had to comply. The next morning whenever I woke up to go to the airport, I went down the hall to use the toilets and the whole are smelled like raw sewage. It had this horrific odor that wasn't just from one person but from a chronic lack of cleaning and disinfecting. It smelled like a mixture of an infection and waste. It was quite possibly one of the worst things I have smelled. The smell rendered it useless to try and brush my teeth as I would probably have gagged and not felt clean regardless.

I am not sure if I just hit them on an off night or what, but besides the closeness to the train station, I would highly recommend staying away. I was VERY glad when I left.

Check Frankfurt Hotel Deals