Ulun Danu Temple (Bratan Temple)

Bedugul, Bali, Indonesia

Ulun Danu Temple (Bratan Temple) Bali Reviews

cicie cicie
When God created the beautiful place , how blessed we are. May 14, 2014
For me personally, the most beautiful part of my travel in Bali is to bring me closer to nature. Visiting a beautiful place isn't just about the treat in my eyes, but what I need to feel in my heart and soul.

I have always been taken, as well as inspired by beautiful photo postcards about Ulun Danu Bratan Temple, as it is the most iconic temple on the Bali island. Photos capturing the stunning beauty of the temple and surrounding nature appear in many postcards and websites about Bali or Indonesia.

A light, soft rain was falling when I arrived at the Ulun Danu Temple at Bratan Lake. Thin fog enveloped part of the temple and the lake was shrouded in mystery. Surrounded by lush green hills and the cold green waters of Lake Bratan are two shrines. What is interesting, is that when the water levels increase, the temple appears to be floating.

The stunning clear lake is calm, and the soft breeze that occasionally sweeps across creates tiny ripples delivering an offering of peace.

Surrounding the temple, a thin mist rises from the lake and hangs without effort, in the air, giving it a somewhat surreal appearance.

The beautiful mountain as a backdrop view makes me want to stay and blend into the scenery. I felt a personal peace and tranquility that is illusive to find. I was residing in a sacred home.

The Ulun Danu temple is a major water temple in Bali, Indonesia. Bali people believe this temple is a shrine to Sang Hyang Dewi Danu, the giver of fertility deity, the goddess of water, the river goddess. The Ulun Danu temple’s existence in the middle of the lake turns it into a very unique attraction for tourists and especially for me. At the downstream edge of the water, there are many small temples that are specific for each irrigation association ( Subak ) and they supply water to farmers all over Bali.

On the way to The Ulun Danu, and Bratan Lake by car, we travelled through a road that was always winding as well as climbing. Along the roadside is vegetable- garden scenery and picturesque valleys. Because it is located in the highlands, it is very cool and sometimes covered in the blanket of fog.

We also visited Candi Kuning Market, a Traditional Vegetable and Fruit Market located in the Candi Kuning countryside. It is easily reached in a few minutes from the Ulun Danu Temple. Various fruit types, and vegetables can be bought here with many excellent choices.

Perhaps the surroundings make this temple and Lake Bratan one of our famous places. Not only natural beauty but a combination of of serenity and peace. How blessed people are to live in this wonderful place.

Bali…….. the land of 1000 temples.
Vikram says:
This really is a brilliant review. I'm almost 2 months late but hearty congrats on it being featured.
Posted on: Aug 25, 2014
Vikram says:
I've been meaning to go to Bali from a long, long time
Posted on: Aug 25, 2014